The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?

Go down 
+5
daeonica
gobblegobble
emilycross
Clare C.G
Captain Joe
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Captain Joe
Brainstorming for Ideas

Male
Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Reading, Writing, Flying.
Humor : No, thanks.
Registration date : 2009-03-09

What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? Empty
PostSubject: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 pm

You can negotiate with terrorists.

Hey there,

I'm Captain Joe. Joe for short. This here forum was recommended to me by an online aquaintance over on my blog and I think the premise behind it is great. Looking forward to some friendly conversation about writing (life, death, and all that's in between!) and meeting fellow writers/novelists/authors, whatever you call yourself, and learning from you and perhaps offering a few tips here and there, too. What works for me, anyway.

Few generic details: I'm male, 21, live in Australia. Want to make a career out of writing but I'm realistic enough to know that I should have a degree to fall back on. So I study, too, Counterterrorism, Security and Intelligence.

On the writing front, I've penned four novels that are in various stages of editing. I'm aiming towards young-adult-urban-fantasy-meets-adult-quest-fantasy genre in my writing. To date, I have three shiny rejection letters for my novels and proudly display them on the wall as certificates of merit. I've been writing short stories of late, looking to get a few publishing credits in the magazines down here and possibly start up a web page beyond my humble blog.

Here's me as of 32 minutes ago:

What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? 2rmmoo5

Heh, that's the first draft of my latest novel, which was completed this evening. It's a collaboration piece and shows some great promise. Beers were drunk at its completion ceremony. Alas, editing will be a cruel mistress.

I won't go on any longer. Thank you for reading,

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://captain-joe.blogspot.com/
Clare C.G
Fleshing out those Characters
Clare C.G

Female
Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : Shop Assistant/writer
Humor : being cat food to an ID crisis tiger is not on my To-Do list!
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:08 pm

hello Joe! welcome to the board!
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:31 pm

Hey Captain Joe *salutes*

Hahaha - love your intro line!

Why don't you tell us a little about your current MS? and if you have a blog/website, feel free to post it up.

I LOVE the fact that you heard about this forum from a friend - yay word is spreading.

Anyhoo, welcome to the board, and feel free to pm me or the mods if you have any questions/queries
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 12:52 pm

Hey Joe! Welcome and congrats on getting those rejections! You gotta start somewhere right?

And by the way, that degree you're going for--very nice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 1:33 pm

Captain Joe wrote:
This here forum was recommended to me by an online aquaintance over on my blog

That would be me Wink Hello! Glad you made it over here!

See, some of us take mostly-naked photos of ourselves in baths with our favourite book, and other use titles of plays that are quoted in said book for their screen name - personally I prefer my way because there's less chance of the book falling in the bath *g*

Anyway, welcome to the boards! Please jump in and start posting. We like new people. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to PM any of the mods.
Happy posting!

~daeonica
Back to top Go down
the1stdaughter
Fleshing out those Characters
the1stdaughter

Female
Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : SAHM
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Welcome Joe!

Your intro line is hilarious. I would love to hear more about what you've written, so I look forward to seeing you around.
Back to top Go down
http://the1stdaughter.blogspot.com/
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those "you had to be there" jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 3:10 pm

Also, terrorists have bombs. Smile
Hey and welcome to this little corner of the Internet! Glad you could join us. I'm Novel, one of the mods here. Feel free to PM me if you need anything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
Lapillus
Informatio consuasor
Lapillus

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyMon Mar 09, 2009 10:01 pm

Hello! Good luck on your novels - sounds like you're plenty dedicated. Love that you've hung up your rejections. Great attitude!
Back to top Go down
http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/
Captain Joe
Brainstorming for Ideas

Male
Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Reading, Writing, Flying.
Humor : No, thanks.
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Clare C.G wrote:
hello Joe! welcome to the board!

Cheers.

emilycross wrote:
Hey Captain Joe *salutes*

Hahaha - love your intro line!

Why don't you tell us a little about your current MS? and if you have a blog/website, feel free to post it up.

I LOVE the fact that you heard about this forum from a friend - yay word is spreading.

Anyhoo, welcome to the board, and feel free to pm me or the mods if you have any questions/queries

Yep, looks like you tracked it down, but here's a link: http://captain-joe.blogspot.com/

I've got two current manuscripts on the go at the moment, with two lying fallow. One is a collaboration piece with another writer (the one in that pic of my good self) and the other is the first novel in a series of urban-quest-fantasy novels I'm trying to get down. That one is currently some 250,000 words, so a mass edit is needed to make it somewhat presentable.

Here's a tentative synopis I've written for my solo work:

'Hunderds of eyes not quite daring to hope regarded Matthew Tristan at that moment. Eyes inexplicably drawn to the strange, quiet boy, who alone in that world of terror and dark confusion, seemed to know what he was doing...'

Sun, surf, and sand is all Matthew Tristan has ever known growing up on the coast of Western Australia. Like most young people, he dreams of adventure, of excitement and wonder beyond a surfboard. He dreams of being a hero. Unlike most people, his dreams are not fantasy.

'Verios is waiting. Worlds will collide. I'm sorry... this is really going to hurt, and there will be no happy ending.'

When the surf and the sand is torn away beneath his feet, and his best friend becomes an unwilling yet fierce enemy, reality will crack like an egg, and Tristan must fight for his life and the fate of millions, as a millenia-old conflict between forgotten powers and ancient demons ignites upon the world of Verios. Tristan's very presence alone will spark a blaze of war that will bring more than one civilisation to a crashing, violent end.

'Pain will be your constant. Pain and fear. Use it to guide you, use it to burn those who would stand in your way.'

In a world of harsh fantasy, a world that hauntingly mirrors our own, Tristan will be forced to assume the mantle of a legend, of a Twilight Guardian - wielder of Origin and the fabled Roseblade. He will confront the Final Dead, vicious overlords of the Evertrayer armies, and the masters of the Shadow Flame of Verios.

'Destiny is never final... and it'll only ever take you so far. The rest us up to you.'

The long road home is far from certain. Fire's fire, after all, and now there is only young Matthew Tristan, whose defiance holds the key to much more than mere fate, standing between the living and the legions of the eternally damned.

Hmm... it's a little wordy, and perhaps a touch flowery, but there you have it. Tear it to pieces, folks!

gobblegobble wrote:
Hey Joe! Welcome and congrats on getting those rejections! You gotta start somewhere right?

And by the way, that degree you're going for--very nice.

Cheers, there. I consider those rejections mere steps in the process. Only God gets it right the first time - God and Heineken.

daeonica wrote:
Captain Joe wrote:
This here forum was recommended to me by an online aquaintance over on my blog

That would be me Wink Hello! Glad you made it over here!

See, some of us take mostly-naked photos of ourselves in baths with our favourite book, and other use titles of plays that are quoted in said book for their screen name - personally I prefer my way because there's less chance of the book falling in the bath *g*

Anyway, welcome to the boards! Please jump in and start posting. We like new people. If you have any questions or suggestions, feel free to PM any of the mods.
Happy posting!

~daeonica

Heh, one copy did end up in the bath, unfortunately. Luckily it wasn't a hardback or a signed edition. That would've been tragic. Also, that photo is going to haunt me for some time, isn't it? Totally worth it.

I shall post away over the next few days, Daeonica (can I call you Dae?), injecting my two cents all over the place.

the1stdaughter wrote:
Welcome Joe!

Your intro line is hilarious. I would love to hear more about what you've written, so I look forward to seeing you around.

Synopsis is up a quote or two, and I've no doubt I'll be subtly inserting mentions of my stories at every available opportunity. Thanks for the welcome.

Novel-Goddess wrote:
Also, terrorists have bombs. Smile
Hey and welcome to this little corner of the Internet! Glad you could join us. I'm Novel, one of the mods here. Feel free to PM me if you need anything.

Thanks, Novel.

Lapillus wrote:
Hello! Good luck on your novels - sounds like you're plenty dedicated. Love that you've hung up your rejections. Great attitude!
[i]

Aye, an attitude of blind ignorance in the face of rejection is one of the key elements on the road to success. That and persistence. Damned, narrow, lacy persistence.

Thanks for a warm welcome, folks,

Joe
Back to top Go down
http://captain-joe.blogspot.com/
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Ah, another person who studies Security (don't tell me you too have that evil paper called Theories of Securitisation).

Welcome, Joe. I like the "tentative synopsis" and your blog. Yeah, that's the spirit. The rejection slips will HAVE to stop coming one day.
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?   What's the difference between publishers and terrorists? Empty

Back to top Go down

What's the difference between publishers and terrorists?
Page 1 of 1