The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Romance - What would we do without it?

Go down 
+5
emilycross
Lapillus
ReNu
gobblegobble
Ren
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male
Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Daydreamning
Humor : Who? Where?
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Romance - What would we do without it? Empty
PostSubject: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 7:46 pm

I like smut.

There. I said it.

Who's still here? *Looks around*

Okay, so I made this thread to talk strictly about the romance novels of the world. So, while I'd like to keep the discussion of the explicit parts of the book to a minimum so that anyone can browse this thread, I want to stress that books discussed in this thread, should you so decide to go and read them, are explicit in nature.

Okay, because this genre is huge, and I am opening this thread up to talk about favorite books and hopefully learn about some new ones, I want to warn people this could be a spoiler-friendly thread. So, I have a solution.

If you want to post something that is, strictly a spoiler, like character X dies in book three, type it out, highlight the part that's a spoiler, and then change the font color to black. Then put a spoiler warning above it, and anyone who wants to read the spoiler can highlight the "hidden" part and see it. If someone doesn't want to be spoiled, they don't have to. See? Try it - Highlight here: Haaaa Spoiler! Cool, huh?

If you do this, please, PLEASE be careful of quoting. The quote feature will automatically make the color red, so go in and delete the spoiler, please. Put *** or something, or take it out completely.

Otherwise, since romance novels tend to be, generally, a strict boy-meets-girl, boy-makes-love-to-girl, boy-and-girl-get-married type scenario (series like Black Dagger Brotherhood would be more prone to spoilers, you see), talking about the romantic aspects of a book aren't necessarily a spoiler.

Basically - we're all intelligent people. If you think it's something that someone who hasn't read the book would rather learn about in the book, put it in black font. That way you can discuss parts of books without giving it away to people who want to read them still.

Lastly - why not a thread for a specific series, and then no worries about spoilers? Because I have waaaaay too many smut novels for that to be feasible. Also, I just like the idea of having a general place to discuss romance novels in general. We COULD make a BDB thread, if anyone wants to talk about J.R. Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood, but I thought a generic romance novel thread would be a good place to begin.

Some of my favorite novels include:

Beware a Scot's Revenge - Sabrina Jeffries
Suddenly You - Lisa Kleypas
Lover Eternal - JR Ward

I love most of what Sabrina Jeffries and Lisa Kleypas write, as well as JR Ward's Black Dagger Brotherhood (Still have Phury's book left to go) I JUST bought an Amanda Ashley book, I haven't started it yet, and I have heaps of random books from Any Given Doomsday by Lori Handeland to Teresa Medeiros' Yours Until Dawn.

What's your favorite?

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 8:34 pm

I've read a bit of Sherrilyn Kenyon's stories after I met her at Comic Con. My friends are trying to get me to read the Black Dagger series though too. And everyone knocks on me for starting the Dream Hunters series instead of the beginning of the Dark Hunter series by Sherrilyn Kenyon.

I do like the Dream Hunters though from what I've read so far. And since one of my friends loves the Dark Hunters--she had clued me in on everything on the Dark Hunters.

And for more Chic Lit stuff I do like Sophie Kinsella books. I haven't read the Shopaholic series, but I have read her other stories and enjoy them for a good laugh and romance.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyTue Mar 17, 2009 10:03 pm

Ahhhh....my biggest secret - that I read romance. Thanks for starting this, Ren.

I love Lisa Kleypas' Wallflower series, especially the first one (starring Annabel and Simon). Oooooh, that book makes me melt, and where IS my Simon?

Also love Julia Quinn, Amanda Quick, Carole Mortimer, Cathy Williams, Lynne Graham....I could go on forever about authors, but I'll just say I love Regency and Contemporary romance best.
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 2:40 am

ReNu - if you like Regency, you should check out Sabrina Jeffries. Other than 'Beware a Scot's Revenge' (one of my alltime favorites) another one I love by her is 'The Forbidden Lord'. Very tasty stuff.

gobblegobble - You MUST read Black Dagger Brotherhood. It's absolutely fabulous. How is Sherrilyn Kenyon?

Currently, I'm waiting for Angel's Blood by Naglini Signh (or however you spell her name, too sleepy to look it up) to show up at my used bookstore. She wrote the Changling series, which I haven't read yet, either, but over on the Lex, the thread that introduced me to the Brotherhood were talking about that series, as well. The Angel's Blood one has - not vampires - but archangel Raphael in it. Mm. Tasty. Can't wait. Ren wants, Ren poor. Bah.

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
ReNu
ReNu

Female
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 3:21 am

Ren, thanks! I've read Married to the Viscount and I love her style. I like the whole debutante-rake-ton-almack-vauxhall gardens situations that are a part of Regencies.

Nalini Singh. Read her Awaken the Senses. Very sensual and sensuous novel. Nice. But I'll still vote for Regencies.
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 8:22 am

Sherrilyn Kenyon is pretty good. I haven't read much of her work but I do enjoy reading it. You know Greek gods and such...yeah, those boys are great pieces of work.
Back to top Go down
Lapillus
Informatio consuasor
Lapillus

Female
Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 9:20 am

I really only read historical or fantasy romance types. I'm not widely read on romance but here are some I've liked in the past...

Anything by Josie Litton is a favorite.
Amanda Quick
Teresa Medeiros
Patricia Rice

Loved The Spymaster's Lady by Joanna Bourne (she's on AW)

The "Undead Series" by Mary Janice Davidson is fun. Same with the Kimberly Raye's undead novels.
Back to top Go down
http://caseylmccormick.blogspot.com/
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 1:09 pm

Oooh i'm a closet smutty too!!!! *waves*

I liked the brotherhood books - aw i have a soft spot for the twins

but prefer 'the breed books' now. I love dante! Smile

Oh also in regards to spoilers - you can highlight the colour as black or - go to 'others' tab just above the message box and clike 'spoilers' and [spoiler] will show up. Keep your spoiler stuff inside that. or you can click 'hidden' and [hidden] will show up.
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 2:07 pm

Oooo I like Emily's idea for spoilers better! How does that translate into quoting? Quoting overrides the color scheme, so that sort of busts my spoiler idea.

Lots of people on this thread! I thought I'd be the only one and everyone would be looking at me weird. :p

The last book I finished was V's book in the BDB series, and I think I'm going to finish off Phury's. I'm also going to jump into one of Medeiros' books next, I think. (I tend to have like, three books going at once. Anyone else tend to do that?)
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those &quot;you had to be there&quot; jokes.

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyWed Mar 18, 2009 2:17 pm

Anyone read Katie Macalister's The Corset Diaries? Muwaha. I love that book. So does my best friend, although she can't hear the word "asparagus" without cringing now...hahahaha.

I love romance books, but I'm horrible at writing 'em. Ah, well.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 7:22 am

Yay Ren!! Thanks for starting this thread!! You knew I'd come in here and stir stuff up cause I'm deeply in love with Zsadist and Rhage from the Black Dagger Brotherhood books *swoon!* There's a constant battle between the two of them for my affections, I can never decide who I like better. I definitely want to re-read them all before the new one comes out (April 28th!)

I also love Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter series... not as fond of the Dream Hunter books, but that's because I'm obviously biased to vampire smut. Favorite book... probably Night Embrace or Acheron... I love Acheron. His book is awesome. If I could get Ash, Rhage and Z in a tub... well you'd never see me again! ^_^

gobblegobble: you should go back and read the Dark Hunter books! They're better and theres a ton of them!!

I am expanding my smut library and reading Sherrilyn Kenyon's Sword of Avalon series (published under Kinley MacGregor) so I'll report back on that series as soon as I finish the first one.
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyThu Mar 19, 2009 8:03 am

Mm. Hot tub. Oo, that's a good question, just to stir up some discussion!

Which smut novel character would YOU corner in a hot tub? (Not what you'd do... just who you want Wink )

Unfortunately for MissJulie, I have a soft spot for Rhage, from Ward's BDB series, so we may have to fight over that one. I also might have to toss in my highlander Lachlan Ross from Jeffries' Beware a Scots Revenge. (If I had to pick, it'd be Rhage, hands down.)

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 3:44 am

Quote :
Unfortunately for MissJulie, I have a soft spot for Rhage, from Ward's BDB series, so we may have to fight over that one.

Sorry ladies, i'm going to have to intervene here and say Rhage is MINE!!! considering my reallife name corresponds with his love interest, i believe it is a sign we're meant to be Laughing
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 2:31 pm

Ren wrote:
Unfortunately for MissJulie, I have a soft spot for Rhage, from Ward's BDB series, so we may have to fight over that one.

That's cool, I'll take Z... or Vischous even... can't I have them both? Acheron from the Dark Hunter series can come too. Oh god... we have to stop. I'm at work and there be no cold showers here!
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 3:37 pm

Hahaha. Fair enough.

Okay, on to more book-worthy discussions.

Favorite romance novel EVER, and why?
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptyFri Mar 20, 2009 6:09 pm

Hmmm...

I have to say that I love Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte. Such a great romantic/crazy tale.

I also love a story that Louisa May Alcott wrote--A Long Fatal Love Chase. One of my favorite books ever. If you've seen the movies, Sleeping With the Enemy or Enough, then this is the story that started those.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 6:34 am

Pride & Prej without a doubt, he novel that spawned the romcom generation!
Back to top Go down
ReNu
ReNu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySat Mar 21, 2009 10:33 pm

Love Wuthering Heights too, gobble. Here's another quirk: I listen to Bonnie Tyler's Total Eclipse of the Heart just after reading the novel.

But absolute favourite romance novel? Daddy Long Legs. Why? Judy's last letter in the book. Poignant, picturesque, romantic, perfect.
Back to top Go down
Bluepolarbear
March Competition Winner
Bluepolarbear

Female
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Once Therapist, now SAHM.
Humor : Yes Please!
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 10:00 am

I do like a good romantic book now and again, but I like it clean, sort of like Twilight was. I get embarrassed by really explicit scenes. I did find that the Vampire Academy series had some of that in there, but it was still on the side of clean. So yes...that's just me.

I've never been able to get through Wuthering Heights or Pride and Prejudice, I found them a bit too slow. But my favorite romance books (this will sound lame) are the Love Comes Softly series. I find them really sweet. I read them when I was like 8 or something. I wanted to read a grown up book and those were the ones my mom let me read. They have religious themes in them and it's all about making it through the tough parts of marriage after falling in love. I am so cheesy....
lol!
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 11:29 am

Bluepolarbear wrote:
I do like a good romantic book now and again, but I like it clean, sort of like Twilight was. I get embarrassed by really explicit scenes. I did find that the Vampire Academy series had some of that in there, but it was still on the side of clean. So yes...that's just me.

No, no! I totally understand! Like, I love romance novels for the sexual tension, the cuteness, the fluff... and most of the time I will casually flip over the explicit stuff, just because I feel like I've walked into a room with someone's personal moment. It's a little weird for me, mostly because some people roll their eyes and say "Pft. Yeah, right." but I totally understand!

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySun Mar 22, 2009 2:12 pm

Hehe... do you need to ask?? Lover Awakened ^_^

I actually like it more than Eternal, but only because I love dire love stories more than I love mushy ones.
Back to top Go down
the1stdaughter
Fleshing out those Characters
the1stdaughter

Female
Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : SAHM
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySat Jun 13, 2009 10:08 pm

Anyone into the Sookie books? I got hooked awhile back and can't put them down. I have to say that although many are in favor of Bill, I'm more for Eric.
Back to top Go down
http://the1stdaughter.blogspot.com/
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 3:43 am

1st - i sooooo have to read these books!! they seem to be such a huge hit!

and i remember reading somewhere that when true blood came out alot of TW fans were upset cause felt very similar to edward and bella - yet sookie was written well before twilight!

So, its definitly on my to-read list Smile
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 10:11 am

I've noticed Twilight fans seem to take personal offense to a lot of things. Don't get me wrong, I love Edward and Bella as much as the next girl, but I think I have an extra dose of common sense to go along with it.

I totally have the first Sookie book, and I absolutely gobbled up TrueBlood last season, and I'm positively squealing for more. I WOULD like to actually read the books. ...Sometime. I have a very long list to get through.

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
the1stdaughter
Fleshing out those Characters
the1stdaughter

Female
Number of posts : 60
Job/hobbies : SAHM
Registration date : 2009-03-01

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? EmptySun Jun 14, 2009 12:46 pm

Yeah, I remember reading the uproar, which I think is undeserved. They really are in two completely different fields, I would never let my daughter read the Sookie books while she is under 18 but Twilight would be no problem. Besides, I feel like the Sookie books were written so differently I can't compare.

I feel like Charlaine Harris is one of a handful of authors who actually surprise me with her plot lines, not to mention the wonderfully hot romances. They are great books on so many levels, I hope you all get a chance to read them!
Back to top Go down
http://the1stdaughter.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Romance - What would we do without it?   Romance - What would we do without it? Empty

Back to top Go down

Romance - What would we do without it?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Writer's Chronicle :: The Library :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: