The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Writing Woes

Go down 
+13
missjulie
ReNu
Novel-Goddess
Bluepolarbear
Lapillus
Ren
DPowell
sdficklin
aresity
pronetoidiocy
imaginary
daeonica
emilycross
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Writing Woes - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 10:12 am

well you see alot of publishers/lagents wouldn't like you to have Fanfiction on the net. its kind of an appearance thing cos FF looked down on, and well it might taint you a bit.

Alot of great writers say they've written FF though, and i don't think its anything to be ashamed of, but its just one of those steps you have to take when you're trying to be published.
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 6:43 pm

Good thing I write under a pen name. Lets keep that little tidbit to ourselves here >.<
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those &quot;you had to be there&quot; jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 6:54 pm

I have a penname on FF.net. Not that I ever post anything. I'm holding off so that once I'm published I can post FF for my own stories. Yes, it's tacky. No, I don't care. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female
Number of posts : 143
Job/hobbies : Writing, playing guitar, reading, drawing, listening to music
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 9:11 pm

Haha! Novel that's a fantastic idea!! I wonder if anyone would notice it was you...
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 1:22 am

I've merged 'grumble' thread and writing woes thread together - just to let you know

So my writing woe, i was on the absolutewrite.com board and went into the SYW section and there was a post 'hook me in 200 words' and i posted the 1st 100 words of my prologue. Now i know that my WIP isn't near 'sharing' but i thought these 100 words were excellent, like one of my best bits of writing.

Basically i got slated for being superfluous, grammar errors etc (OVER ONLY 100 WORDS - I'D HATE TO SEE WHAT THEY WOULD DO TO ME, if i had posted something longer)

I'm open to criticism, its a sign of a good writer etc. but i'm so proud of my opening that the criticism really stung. then of course the whole, "i shouldn't even bother writing, if what i think is good can be so slated by others AND its only 100" thoughts really started bring me down.

i needed to vent somewhere. Sad
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 8:59 am

This is why I'm not very likely to share my work over the internet. There are too many anonymous assholes out there who don't know what real criticism it.
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 11:10 am

missjulie wrote:
This is why I'm not very likely to share my work over the internet. There are too many anonymous assholes out there who don't know what real criticism it.

One of the many reasons I am also wary about sharing my work online. Emily, just out of curiousity--is it just the first 100 words of that prologue you posted on here? OR was it some other part of it?
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 29, 2009 12:46 pm

it was the first 100 words - one person said that they couldn't get past the semi-colon i had in the first sentence and that my writing was superfluous.

One person said i had a nice voice but that was the only compliment. Sad
Back to top Go down
Bluepolarbear
March Competition Winner
Bluepolarbear

Female
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Once Therapist, now SAHM.
Humor : Yes Please!

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 10:52 am

I've been having a rather difficult time writing lately. I keep sitting down to do some and have actually gotten several paragraphs done in one story, but that's it. I think in the past 7 months I've gotten a total of 3 pages done in writing (not counting the short story). It may be a bit more, but not a lot. I also feel bad because I don't really challenge myself much and in some ways I've gotten lazy about it.

I know I'm pregnant and have a bit of a hectic life now with my husband being gone and not knowing if I'll be moving to New York in the summer or not, but I still wish I was writing more. I keep telling myself I can do more during my maternity leave that starts before the baby is here, but I highly doubt I'll want to. About the only writing I have done lately is on the Book Bundles Accomplice site, my blog, and daily letters to my husband.

I know I should loosen up some on this, but it's very different from last summer. Maybe I just need the break, I don't know. But I'm starting to miss writing but I don't know what to write when I sit down.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 11:19 am

Blue - like you said your under some serious pressure, and sometimes you have to let yourself take a break. My advice is do something else and say 'i'm letting myself have this time till ***' - you'll never know when inspiration will hit and taking a break might help.

then, you should maybe try working on short stuff, like a 500 piece of prose or something that isn't too taxing but exercises your writing muscle?

I don't know if thats any help.

If it does help, i'm the same (apart from well, the preg, husband etc stuff lol ) - i haven't actually written in soooo long its scary cause i feel my course has sucked out all my writing time/skill etc.
Back to top Go down
Bluepolarbear
March Competition Winner
Bluepolarbear

Female
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Once Therapist, now SAHM.
Humor : Yes Please!

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyWed May 13, 2009 2:20 pm

So true, perhaps I'll just do short stories for awhile. They require less concentration and putting together than novel length ones. Currently my memory is falling behind too making it harder to remember what I was doing unless I go back and read the past 40+ pages I wrote. Then that's just tiring and I give up. It's a strange cycle Laughing

Good luck with you're schedule and writing too. School certainly does take away a lot of fun spare time. But you're almost there!
Back to top Go down
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyThu May 14, 2009 1:08 am

Ah, more people in my "Haven't done much writing lately" club. All I do these days is read writing magazines and books. But can't force the old brain to come up with stuff, so I'm on a break as well.
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyFri May 22, 2009 7:18 pm

Oh no. Folks, an infestation of plot bunnies has decided to nest up in my mind. It's a REALLY good thing I'm only a chapter or so into The Silent Halls, because some drastic changes are about to be made if I go with this new idea.

I hate plot bunnies. Grr.
Back to top Go down
BlackFairyDust01
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : Reading, writing, and watching Bleach
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySat May 23, 2009 6:41 am

I love plot bunnies! While I was writing Devil May Care, I got TWO plot bunnies for the same scene and couldn't decide which one to use. Either kill off Jet, or make him Arrow's long lost brother. I went with the second one, because then I got the idea to make Jet and Aggy an item. Sure I had to rewrite three chapters, but it was worth it because it turned out even better than I thought it would!
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:01 am

I like plot bunnies...just not when they screw up most of what I've got.

But I think I managed to work through it and I've got what I need now, so no more worries. Smile
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Number of posts : 203
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.
Humor : Laughing at my spastic self
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySat May 23, 2009 10:27 am

I hate when sometimes I write two chapters, then I read them over and go, "Oh, wait a minute, this doesn't really advance my plot!" Sure, it's some character development, but it doesn't advance the plot in any way. It seemed like my last few chapters were just character development and I was kind of bored as I was reading them. Like, they were good, but they weren't that related to the previous chapters. I could have easily stuck them in ten chapters later, that kind of thing. I hate when things like that happen. >.<;

Now I have a lack of ideas for my plot. I need to get from A to B with something that actually corresponds to the rest of the story...
Back to top Go down
http://member.mibba.com/54014/
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun May 24, 2009 8:46 pm

I deleted, like, a third of the first chapter of tSotD and I had to get rid of a pretty good scene. Unfortunately, it was necessary. Several of the chapter one scenes were pure telling instead of showing, and that pretty good scene was actually crap when I stepped back to look at it and realized that the major character in that scene was acting out of character. Grr.

Still, it's a good thing I caught it now and not AFTER I sent chapters to my parents to read (which I'll be doing while I'm gone this summer).
Back to top Go down
BlackFairyDust01
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : Reading, writing, and watching Bleach
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyMon May 25, 2009 10:40 am

I had to get rid of a whole character! He was my second favorite character to write about but I had to get rid of him because him being there wasn't at all important to the story and I realized that I was often forgetting about him. I'm thinking about bringing him back for the sequel though.
Back to top Go down
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 8:31 am

I ALWAYS hate whatever I write, about 24 hours after I've written it. And I usually tear it up. Help!
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyTue May 26, 2009 10:14 pm

ReNu wrote:
I ALWAYS hate whatever I write, about 24 hours after I've written it. And I usually tear it up. Help!

Don't be tearing up your work ReNu! That's a NO-NO in writing! If you aren't satisfied with it--and I know all of us have gone through this more than once--put it aside. Take a break. Go watch a movie or listen to your favorite music. Read a book. Study up on what you want to write. Do something other than writing that particular story or scene or even line for about two weeks then go back and reread it. You'd be surprised at some of the things you came up with and how you wrote it. I still do this to myself. I actually went back and just glimpsed at something I'd written and finished last year and still needs editing--but I looked at it and read for a bit and went, "Hey, there's this and this that could be fixed but it's not too bad. I can't believe I wrote this though!"

You could make a folder of "unfinished" items or just for your ideas. Write something down and put it in that folder and come back after a couple weeks to a couple months and just randomly pull something out. Don't look at what you're going to pull out but just do it randomly. Work with your weakness--don't give into it or it will win.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 07, 2009 12:15 am

I think i'm having a touch of 'analysis through paralysis' - i now have free time to actually write and i'm jumping from one project to another - i can't decide which one to start!!
Should i hash out Sight of Darkness finally (my current wip) or work on a short story first? or my other wip?

I'm thinking i might just make myself stick with SoD, and then go through others in same order! What do you think?
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 08, 2009 9:59 am

I'm having an issue with Shattered Truth. I tried writing without an outline, which failed. So I made an outline and started over. I'm halfway through the prologue, and I'm not sure if I know exactly where it's going. I think I need to do more outlining. I really hope I can finish in time for NaNo, because I'm writing the third book in the series for it and I can't start the third without finishing the second.
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 7:30 am

Emily, I would say try a short story. They are something different, for a change, and hey, maybe it'll work out well and you'll have something to try submitting soon.

Novel, if you've made an outline for it, then maybe you should give it more of a chance than just getting half-way through the prologue? That doesn't sound like you've got very far with the story. But then, if you think you need to do more outlining first, then go with that feeling.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 11:41 am

Novel, i agree with Dae, go with your gut feeling, if you like to outline then outline - and don't worry about NaNoWriMo - just do whats comfy for you
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Number of posts : 203
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.
Humor : Laughing at my spastic self
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2009 1:05 pm

I agree. The stress of NaNo can just be really overwhelming. Go at your own pace, and if you wind up having to change your deadline date, do so. It's better to get something done a few weeks later than to waste days stressing about it. I would take a break for a day or two, write something COMPLETELY unrelated to take a break, then go back to it with a fresh mind.
Back to top Go down
http://member.mibba.com/54014/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Writing Woes
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next