LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Your opinion?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
author_in_progress
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Not gainfully employed, but currently writing a fantasy novel. I enjoy reading and listening to music.
Humor : Two blondes walk into a bar. The brunette ducks.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Your opinion?   Sat May 02, 2009 11:01 pm

I feel somewhat bad for posting new topics... (I feel that, being so new, it's some sort of unspoken rule or something) but I did look to see if there was already a topic for this, and didn't see one, and I'm very excited about the progress I've made, and had to share it with someone.
As you lot are the (un)lucky ones that I happened to be directed towards as my first real 'group of people who not only write, but sit around and talk about writing' I'm unleashing it upon your tender mercies.

Summaries, Queries, and Synopses. They all terrify me. When I first took the plunge into writing a novel, and vowing that not only would I write the damn thing, I would get it published come hell or high water, I did a moderate amount of research into what, exactly goes into it. I decided that the synopsis sounded relatively easy - it's only a page or two, after all, and it's written in present tense, that can't be too hard, can it?

I was wrong. The synopsis - which I realised after the first paragraph or so - is probably going to be harder to write than the novel itself. So I shoved that off to the side, and began on my background work (a fantasy world is a fantasy because it doesn't exist anywhere else but in the dreamer's mind. Therefore, if I'm to bring this world of mine to other people's minds, I have to know it so well that I could get along just fine if I found myself there tomorrow.)

After wasting a lot of time reading about stupid people trying to use computers, and the sainted techies who talk to them, I then proceeded to waste time reading my chosen agent's blog. (It's her or bust. At least that's the way I feel right now. If - and likely when - she rejects me, I'll have done more research into other agents, but at the moment, Kristin Nelson is my Ideal Agent.) And she speaks at length about good query letters, and what works for her and what doesn't.

So, the TL;DR is, I sat down and wrote the summary-of-my-book part of the query letter.

I don't know if this is breaking any rules, but I've always liked to live a little on the wild side, and I now present it to you. If you saw this on the back of a book, would you care to pick it up and read it?

There exists a world outside of our own, filled with the remnants and relics of Earth. Those creatures banished from our world, denied their right, all having found their way to Eversong where they can live in peace.

These are the first words that Vicky Crawford - just out of college and living in the limbo of too much school and too little experience - reads in a large leather-bound novel by the name of Eversong. When she makes a spontaneous wish on a star for some excitement in her life, the absolute last thing she expects is to find herself falling not into but through the waters of a fountain. When she finds herself back on dry land, she's nowhere she's ever been before - and she's completely surrounded by vicious, snarling dogs. As her life flashes before her eyes, she's rescued by a surly stranger with some rather distinct features. Before she can so much as ask his name, she's whisked off into the adventure of her life and discovers she's just fallen into the middle of a kingdom divided by a war they cannot win. Vicky finds that she's going to have to help save the world before she can get home - and it's just not made any easier by the ever-present Jonas and his snarky attitude.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion?   Sun May 03, 2009 2:16 am

Personally (although i too read agent blogs obsessively) i wouldn't write or worry about the query until you've written the book.

if you want my advice though,

Quote :
These are the first words that Vicky Crawford - just out of college and living in the limbo of too much school and too little experience - reads in a large leather-bound novel by the name of Eversong. When she makes a spontaneous wish on a star for some excitement in her life, the absolute last thing she expects is to find herself falling not into but through the waters of a fountain in the middle kingdom of Eversong

I think this is great, when you talk of dogs etc - its too much detail. i think if you take out those lines and rework - and perhaps mention why she is there more specifically - what her goal will be e.g. is it to find a magical object, why is kingdom at war and who they are fighting. you could write this in a line. e.g Now, Vicky must find the scared *** if she is to help Kingdome of *** to defeat the ***

Quote :
she's whisked off into the adventure of her life and discovers she's just fallen into the middle of a kingdom divided by a war they cannot win. Vicky finds that she's going to have to help save the world before she can get home - and it's just not made any easier by a surly stranger with some rather distinct features

This is just my opinion. Please know i dont have query experience or anything and thats just my opinion Smile

100/25 = 5 per year
25/5 = 1 per year
5/1 = 1 per 5 years

My blog / My Website / MySpace / Book Bundle Blog /
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
author_in_progress
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 9
Job/hobbies : Not gainfully employed, but currently writing a fantasy novel. I enjoy reading and listening to music.
Humor : Two blondes walk into a bar. The brunette ducks.
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion?   Sun May 03, 2009 6:13 am

I feel that the more I do now, the less I'll have to worry about later. And it gives me an excuse to still be working on the book without actually having to *work* on the *book*.

Thank you for your input! I shall definitely be reworking it a bit as you said. (I noticed the problem with too many details myself. It's not something I can help.)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft

Female
Number of posts : 203
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.
Humor : Laughing at my spastic self
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion?   Sun May 03, 2009 3:42 pm

I've tried writing a synopsis once, and it's REALLY hard. D; To make your WIP seem like an amazing book to someone other than yourself is really difficult. You have to sum up the long novel into one paragraph and make it seem exciting, yet not give anything away. It's really hard, so I just vowed to save it until I finished my novel.

I like your ideas, Author, but I feel like your synopsis is very specific in places it doesn't need to be (ex. the dogs thing. That can be discovered as the reader is reading it). Otherwise, I think it sounds like fun! Very Happy

I like the "As her life flashes before her eyes, she's rescued by a surly stranger with some rather distinct features. Before she can so much as ask his name, she's whisked off into the adventure of her life " part. However, the part after it seems a little vague. Why is Vicky trying to win, etc. But I think you're off to a good start! Personally, I would finish the novel, then go back to it, in case you realize you want to take something or add something into the novel. That might be the best thing to do. *nod nod* Just my opinion, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://member.mibba.com/54014/
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those "you had to be there" jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion?   Sun May 24, 2009 9:18 pm

You know what's weird? When I was doing my first round of tSotD revisions (and, later, the second) writing a synposis actually helped me go back and make the story work better in some places where it was dragging.

So, actually, I think writing a synopsis while working on the book is a great idea. It can keep you focused, you know?

View user profile http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your opinion?   

Back to top Go down

Your opinion?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1