The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
angela_785
Fleshing out those Characters
angela_785

Female
Number of posts : 54
Humor : Zombie
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens Empty
PostSubject: Best Advice Someone''s Given You For Writing For Children & Teens   Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens EmptyFri May 15, 2009 9:18 am

If you're anything like me, you've read a lot, talked a lot about writing and have gotten your share of advice. If you had to name one or two bits of wisdom that has helped you most, what would they be?

For me, the first would be: Write like you think.

Yeah, it sounds generic, but I've always struggled with creating compelling characters and getting into their heads. Once I stopped thinking, 'How can I make this character appealing?' and started thinking, 'How can I make this character feel real?' I started finding characterization a lot easier. I become the character to some degree and write like I think--I'm sarcastic, I have a wry sense of humor. I'm weird. My characters often are too, and this is why. Smile

I know too when I started writing I was so worried about the rules and the message and trying to make sure my work was like the work out there so it would appeal to editors and get published. I felt like I was juggling 800 billion different things and the writing had to follow every writing rule and be perfect and symetrical in every way.

Bah to that.

To be original you have to let go. Pure creativity comes when you cast off things that hold you back or hem you in. So my second bit of wisdom is to just write the damn story and forget about everything else.

Clarity and originality comes when you can cast off the rules and worries. This is when the strongest voices emerge. However, to do this and be effective, you have to know the rules of writing first, and you have to understand the elements of story building and their importance.

What advice has helped you the most? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com/
bjanderson
Brainstorming for Ideas
bjanderson

Female
Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : Writing
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens   Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens EmptyMon May 18, 2009 2:27 pm

At a conference I went to recently, Shelly Shapiro of Del Rey told everyone to be careful of writing for a trend, because all those trendy books that are popular now were written years ago. She said to write from the heart, which I can't agree with more.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bjanderson-write.blogspot.com/
angela_785
Fleshing out those Characters
angela_785

Female
Number of posts : 54
Humor : Zombie
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens   Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens EmptyThu May 21, 2009 10:12 am

Very very true. :-)
Back to top Go down
http://thebookshelfmuse.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens   Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Advice Someone's Given You For Writing For Children & Teens
Page 1 of 1