LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Stephen King

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Stephen King   Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:15 pm

The king of horror!

Are you a fan? or do you feel SK has been a tad harsh on fellow writer stephenie meyer? Express you opinions here!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those "you had to be there" jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:23 pm

I think my parents have every Stephen King book ever written, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet...I'll get around to it eventually. I think I might start with Carrie. I heard that that's a good one.

View user profile http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
imaginary
Typing the first word

Female
Number of posts : 143
Job/hobbies : Writing, playing guitar, reading, drawing, listening to music
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:31 pm

Novel-Goddess wrote:
I think my parents have every Stephen King book ever written, I just haven't gotten around to reading them yet...I'll get around to it eventually. I think I might start with Carrie. I heard that that's a good one.

Yeah, my mother has almost all of them too. I should start reading one. Any suggestions for a good one?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pronetoidiocy
Outlining the plot

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:02 am

I had a few King books pawned off on me, and I started one. Key word in that sentence was started. My one complaint about King is that he uses entirely too much detail to get the point across (my complaint about Anne Rice too, but we'll save that for another day). The book I started reading was called The Talisman, and I think the premise for the story was a good one, but there are so many easy ways to sum up what he wants to say. I was also given The Stand as a christmas present but it has so many pages I am just too intimidated to start it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:45 am

I read one of his fiction books - Dream catcher - wasn't my sort of thing at all. I'd like to read some of his short stories or non horror fiction.

I read his 'on writing' book which is a memoir/help guide to writing - it was excellent and i'd recommend it

Heres the link to his comments on Stephenie Meyer and other popular writers.

stephenking-fiction

Personally i think its ironic that someone like King who has been criticised by all the academics, scholars and critics for 'pandering to the masses' would criticise another author publicly (no matter how good/bad etc. writing is in reality!) - as well as maybe turning fans of these authors from his own books was stupid move i think.

Least controversial life for moi
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
aresity
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : writing, drawing, reading, typing, playing video/computer games, dozing
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:36 am

pronetoidiocy wrote:
I had a few King books pawned off on me, and I started one. Key word in that sentence was started. My one complaint about King is that he uses entirely too much detail to get the point across (my complaint about Anne Rice too, but we'll save that for another day). The book I started reading was called The Talisman, and I think the premise for the story was a good one, but there are so many easy ways to sum up what he wants to say. I was also given The Stand as a christmas present but it has so many pages I am just too intimidated to start it.

I agree with you about his too much details...
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.cloudsandletters.blogspot.com
Rose's Thorn
Outlining the plot

Female
Number of posts : 32
Job/hobbies : Writing. Reading. Sitting at the computer.
Humor : Morbid/Sarcastic
Registration date : 2009-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:32 pm

First thing's first: PLEASE take the Meyer discussion to a Meyer thread! I find it annoying, personally. His comments on Meyer affected her world more than his.

Second thing:

I LOVED Carrie. Looking back on it, when I first read it I liked it but the more I thought about it the more I really loved it. It was twisted and crazy, but I thought it was powerful and strong.

XD Me and my friend had an argument about
Spoiler:

The Shining was cool, but I wish to god I could go back in time and change it so that I read the book before I saw the movie. I didn't mean to see the movie, but my family was watching it (they'd never seen it before so they didn't really realize that it was about as far from "family appropriate" as movies get), and I had nothing better to do...Anyway, I wasn't thrilled with the ending, but the rest was awesome.

I also read The Dark Half. There's one thing I don't get about King; it seems like all of his protagonists are male authors who are/at one point were teachers. I started one of his later books and the same was true in that one, except that in that one the author was well-known (same for The Dark Half) while in The Shining he was a struggling writer who was an ex-English teacher.

Sound familiar?

That's another thing I liked about Carrie. It was a little different from his other books in that it didn't have a struggling/successful writer who was an English teacher/ex-English teacher in it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stephen King   

Back to top Go down

Stephen King
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1