LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Plot Synopsis

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
pronetoidiocy
Outlining the plot

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Plot Synopsis   Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:02 pm

What are your current or previous novels about? What are the genres?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:04 pm

Oh good topic Very Happy

Well my genre is YA (leaning toward adult) epic fantasy - i hope it will be a trilogy.

It is basically the story of a girl who must set out on a journey to save her kingdom by following visions she recieves from the fates (i know, a thousand stories like this out there *shrugs* Laughing). I hope to have plenty of political subplots tie into it as there is a huge war occuring between two neighbouring kingdoms, and Zaera (the girls) kingdom is being dragged in to it. so plenty of backstabing and court politics lol

100/25 = 5 per year
25/5 = 1 per year
5/1 = 1 per 5 years

My blog / My Website / MySpace / Book Bundle Blog /
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
daeonica
Editor of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:31 pm

Ooh, good topic!

My story is urban fantasy/paranormal romance.
It features the characters from last years nano, in what's going to be book one in a series. (Last years is now the prequel, where I got to know that characters.)

Brief summary:
Sally works in a bookshop full of cool magical things going on. Now there's a ghost hanging around, and she wants to find out where it's from, because, well, wouldn't you? Her ex-for-the-moment boyfriend is the one who introduced her to vampires in the first place, namely because he is one. She split up with him to avoid being drawn deeper into the vampire world, but he doesn't really want to give her up without a fight. So, how long can she really say no to a sexy vampire for?

More details:
Basically, there is a ghost in the bookshop where Sally works. along with her friend Helena who works there too, she's trying to find out more about it. At the same time, she's being pulled back into the circle of vampires that she met with briefly before, for a couple of reasons. Through them, she finds out some stuff about werewolves, and that's about as far as I've got at the moment!

Also, I'd really like some feedback on the stuff I've done so far for this story, if anyone is interested in reading a little? I've got it on deviant art at the moment. Let me know if you'd be willing to give me some comments and/or answer some questions, just on the first 3 chapters that are up so far. (It's roughly 3000 words.)

Back to top Go down
View user profile
pronetoidiocy
Outlining the plot

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:12 pm

Emily, I love when there is always a bit of politics thrown in to a fantasy novel. I think it takes a talented writer to do that.
Daeonica, ghosts and vampires, what more can you ask for?

I wrote a little formal synopsis about the first part of the story.

Melanie Sharpman’s childhood was anything but normal, at least comparing it to social standards. Growing up with an abusive mother and alcoholic father didn’t make life easy, but Melanie did what she had to in order to survive. She thought that everyone was oblivious to the bruises and broken bones that were played off as falls on the playground or general clumsiness, but she had no idea just how transparent the lies were. The constant fear of when the next beating would occur lasted for years until Melanie was reassured by the most important person to come into her life that she could actually fight back and survive.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:15 pm

Dae - oh the vampire sounds so intense and intriquing and of course the ghost! Love paranormal

wow . . . Prone that is an amazing synopsis! well done cheers

100/25 = 5 per year
25/5 = 1 per year
5/1 = 1 per 5 years

Back to top Go down
pronetoidiocy
Outlining the plot

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:20 pm

Thanks Emily! I was originally going to start that off as a prolouge, but realized it just didn't fit with the rest.
Is there any topic here where we can post a few pages and get some feedback?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 2:21 pm

Was discussing this with Dae - i think i'll start one.

100/25 = 5 per year
25/5 = 1 per year
5/1 = 1 per 5 years

Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those "you had to be there" jokes.

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Feb 10, 2009 4:53 pm

This is a blurb that I wrote for The Surface of the Deep back in November:

Quote :
"You think that this is bad? Oh, no. No. It can and will get worse -- this is only the surface of the deep."
The country of Adonia is about to plunge into the bloody depths of revolution. The once-beautiful land now runs rampant with famine, disease, and death. The lower classes can't afford to feed their families while the upper classes spend huge amounts on extravagant parties and ignore the poor hovering just outside their gates. The rulers are corrupt, ignorant, and completely blind to the suffering of their people.

The upper classes scoff at the thought of revolution. The dregs of the country are too poor, too simple, all around too ill-equipped to rebel and take charge. Little do the spoiled nobles know that the revolutionaries have a dirty little secret.

On a little blue-green orb called Earth, there are two children of great power and potential. They were spirited away shortly after they were born and raised in complete ignorance of their home world.
The revolutionaries patiently and silently await the day when the children can be enlightened of their true home, brought back, and used as deadly warriors against the despot rulers.

tSotD (as I've started calling it) is a YA, but it DOES get kind of insanely really freakin' gory. Honestly, I didn't mean it to come out that way, but it did. And it ROCKS.

As for The Enigma, I haven't written up a blurb yet. Basically, it's about this girl, Kaylene, who's brother died in a car crash six months before the story. She pulls a stupid and holds a seance and accidentally brushes paths with the mack-daddy (gotta love that Southern slang...) of all bad guys, Lucifer himself. Wellll...Death shows up and recruits Kaylene to help her fight Lucifer, who's plotting something with angry ghosts (too many spoilers to explain it now, and it would take too long).

Well, it's a pretty crazy ride involving pissed off spirits, Lucifer, Hell, Death, suicide-by-carving-knife (just finished writing that scene this weekend. I tell ya...) and ANGST! Woot!

View user profile http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
daeonica
Editor of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:47 am

Ooh, those both sound great, Novel!

tSotD sounds kind of like the French Revolution up to the 'children on Earth' bit. It sounds really interesting - I like those kind of stories.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:23 am

^Aha, you spotted it. Yeah, I did that on purpose. I'm a history buff, and I felt like fooling around with the French Revolution.

emilycross
The Boss of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35 am

Lol i am too novel, i'm modeling the conflict in my novel 100 year war between france and britian

100/25 = 5 per year
25/5 = 1 per year
5/1 = 1 per 5 years

Back to top Go down
Clare C.G
Fleshing out those Characters

Female
Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : Shop Assistant/writer
Humor : being cat food to an ID crisis tiger is not on my To-Do list!
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:11 am

Tori Susan Evans 1:
Tori Susan Evans is just a normal fifteen year old girl. She loves hanging out with her friends and solving mysteries. But after getting her heart broken once again, Tori challenges herself to stay single for a whole year. But before she’s even got started, new boy Jason catches her eye, and it looks like he’s into her too. Can Tori keep her word and still get the guy? And what does IT Girl Faye know about Jason’s past, and what does it have to do with Tori’s dad?

Power Of Friendship 1:
They were three very different girls. Kate-a farm girl, Sammy-a town girl and Petal-a gypsy girl. When they meet for the first time during the summer they discover their gift-The Power Of Friendship. As a battle between good and evil spreads between the mortal and Strada worlds the girls will need to stand united to save the worlds-whatever happens.

Power Of Friendship 2:
Lamten has escaped and it’s up to Martin and the Saviour Girls to bring him back. But when Sammy’s oldest friends find out the truth the gang find themselves on a journey of discovery and danger that will leave them wondering who they can trust.

Saving Christmas:
Dean, Annie and Billie have always thought Father Christmas was a fat, old block with a white beard, just like everyone else had, but when the three of them bump into super cool Nick and his bubbly sister, Nicole they find that Nick is the real life Farther Christmas. After an amazing trip to Lapland, things take a darker turn when Annie is kidnapped by the evil Mr Cromwell, who intends to use children to end Christmas for good. Only Nick, with help from his sister and their new friends to rescue Annie and the children and save Christmas before it’s too late.

The Skull Zombies:
When a group of scientists start an experiment on a group of Zombies with distorted skull heads and claw fingers, little do they know that their specimens would strike back. And when they do, they take revenge in a big way, breaking out of the lab and killing anyone within reach. Spreading out through the country, the human race have to get to safety and a group of survivors from a small town shopping centre decide to fight back, while one of the surviving scientists from the lab teams up with a news reporter and her cameraman to find a way to stop the zombies before they plague the world.

Mutant Boy:
Chris is a mutant. He was part of a group of mutants called the M.Gs, a group of mutant kids who use their powers for good. But when the M.Gs are attacked by a rouge mutant hunter, Chris, supposedly the only survivor, is forced to move to London. There he meets Stacey, a fellow mutant and old M.G, and her friends. Both Chris and Stacey want to kept their gifts secret, but it’s a tough when their gifts get them into trouble. But when the rouge mutant hunter tracks them down, they’ll have to use their powers to keep them and their friends alive.

Extreme Team 1, The Mystery Of The Hidden Chest:
When Kerry and Nick move from London to a seaside town in Cornwall they soon find themselves involved in a mystery when they find a mysterious box buried in the beach. And when they get involved with extreme sports fanatics Matt, Daisy, Hazel and Roger, the six of them find themselves on a treasure hunt to find a hidden chest before a group of criminals get their hands on it.

Paradise Boys overall summery:
Paradise High School For Boys is an exclusive private school where only the rich or extremely smart go. Joe Mason is Mr Popular at the school, head boy and head of a group called the Paradise Boys. And when Joe falls for local comp girl, Lolita, he’ll do anything to impress her, leading to a host of life changing and hilarious adventures for Joe, Lolita and their friends.

Slackers On Tour (Tori Susan Evans spin off):
Meet Slackers, the hottest rock band in town. There’s:

Pete-on drums. He’s the co-founder of the band and hopes the up and coming tour will get him away from the mess of home. But while he runs from home, will it turn out that he might actually be needed there?

Lezzy-singer and guitar. He’s Pete’s best mate and the bands co-founder. The picture of rock star gorgeousness, the girls love him and guys want to be him, but could money distract him from the music?

Eddie-on guitar. Easily distracted by girls, this womaniser is about to meet to meet his match. Could he really be about to fall in love?

Bobby-on bass. He’s new to the band and focused on the music and the songs. But when one girl fan decides to do anything to get close to him, he’s going to end up with the tough job of breaking some hearts.

Jack-the roadie. In charge of the gear and the driving, he’s in for a tough ride. And while the band’s distracted from the music by girls and money, he’s left pinning for someone special back home. But who?

Slackers are about to hit the road for their first ever tour, but it’s going to be a tight squeeze with the five of them, and all their equipment in one camper van. In between the song writing, the gigs, the girls and the odd argument in drive-thru McDonalds car parks the band are about to learn that you’re never too old for a coming-of-age summer.

The Javaless Quest (spin off from Power Of Friendship 2):
Rumple, protector to Martin, the Keeper Of Evil, has been poisoned, and a cure must be found fast to save him. It is left to Javaless Warriors Rally and Sunshine to find and lead a team to go through the dangers of Strada to find it. Joining them on their quest is Donny, a fourteen year old Javaless messenger, skilled in archery and fast and cunning. Then there’s Sprit, a gymnastic swordswoman with a flirtatious reputation. And then there’s Starline, an archer who can read the stars in the sky. And lastly, Welkin, a skilled swordsman able to craft anything out of wood. Together the six of them must face the biggest challenge of their lives to save Rumple before it’s too late.

and to think Power Of Friendship 1 is the only book that completed and in editing. all the others are either waiting to be written, waiting to be rewritten, being written or in development.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:50 am

That's 10 plots (and blurbs) already! Clare, you are amazing, original and extremely creative.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
Captain Joe
Brainstorming for Ideas

Male
Number of posts : 5
Job/hobbies : Reading, Writing, Flying.
Humor : No, thanks.
Registration date : 2009-03-09

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:17 am

All of these synopsis' (synopsi?) show terrific promise!

Here be my synopsis/cover blurb deal:

'Hundreds of eyes not quite daring to hope regarded Matthew Tristan at that moment. Eyes inexplicably drawn to the strange, quiet boy, who alone in that world of terror and dark confusion, seemed to know what he was doing...'

Sun, surf, and sand is all Matthew Tristan has ever known growing up on the coast of Western Australia. Like most young people, he dreams of adventure, of excitement and wonder beyond a surfboard. He dreams of being a hero. Unlike most people, his dreams are not fantasy.

'Verios is waiting. Worlds will collide. I'm sorry... this is really going to hurt, and there will be no happy ending.'

When the surf and the sand is torn away beneath his feet, and his best friend becomes an unwilling yet fierce enemy, reality will crack like an egg, and Tristan must fight for his life and the fate of millions, as a millenia-old conflict between forgotten powers and ancient demons ignites upon the world of Verios. Tristan's very presence alone will spark a blaze of war that will bring more than one civilisation to a crashing, violent end.

'Pain will be your constant. Pain and fear. Use it to guide you, use it to burn those who would stand in your way.'

In a world of harsh fantasy, a world that hauntingly mirrors our own, Tristan will be forced to assume the mantle of a legend, of a Twilight Guardian - wielder of Origin and the fabled Roseblade. He will confront the Final Dead, vicious overlords of the Evertrayer armies, and the masters of the Shadow Flame of Verios.

'Destiny is never final... and it'll only ever take you so far. The rest us up to you.'

The long road home is far from certain. Fire's fire, after all, and now there is only young Matthew Tristan, whose defiance holds the key to much more than mere fate, standing between the living and the legions of the eternally damned.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://captain-joe.blogspot.com/
daeonica
Editor of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Thu Mar 12, 2009 4:05 pm

Ooh, that sounds great Joe!

Back to top Go down
View user profile
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Well, I've written tons of synopsis' for my stories...let's see if they'll get any better with rewriting them here.

Flare of the Sun (First of Catherine's trilogy) YA Fantasy--this one stinks..I'll have to rewrite it later when I can actually think a bit more.

Catherine Jameson thought she was just the normal dancer with an overprotective parent. That is until she finds out when she goes on a trip to Florence, Italy that she is actually the descendant of a line of witches back to the 1400's when the Medici family began to run the city of Florence. The only glitch with being a witch is now she has to be guarded. Guarded by the one boy she truly thinks she can be with and by another who is more like her big brother--but they're vampires. Biggest rule for the new witch: Don't fall in love with your Guardian.

Shadow of the Moon (Second of Catherine's trilogy)--Yes, I have all three stories planned already...not every detail, but the summaries so I do know where the series is going.

Catherine returns to find out more about her family ties. She learns that there is a loophole in the rule for dating her Guardian, but it lies within her old family home that she only lived in until she was three years old. With the help of some family friends and her Guardians, she now must find the loophole and be able to control the vampire society without losing the one she loves most.

Dawn of the Fallen (Third of Catherine's trilogy)

War is coming. It's not great to be the leader now that Catherine has gained control of her powers as a witch. Having to lead an army of Guardian vampires and the werewolves to battle against a vampire who would kill her and take her powers for himself, she must learn to face her fears and be the leader she knows she can be. Even if it risks losing those close to her. No one will be safe until the dawn.

Lovely Dreams YA Paranormal Romance (This one sucks too. I have to find the better version I whipped up of this a while ago).

Communicating with the dead seems to be a popular practice these days. But Emma didn't ask for her gift. She can dream about spirits haunting a particular place and help them move on. But when she and her dad go to a home in Texas to rid it of a Civil War Ghost, the one thing she never thought possible would happen. She falls in love with the ghost, and with a local farm boy. Can one person really choose love if it meant life or death to be with the one they love?

Extinction Adult Fantasy Horror Romance (I guess I could just call that one a paranormal romance--but what the heck...I like my made up genre) I know I shouldn't be ending most of these with questions...but I wanted to get these up here and be able to work off of them and make them better at least.

Emi hates her life. She hates her apartment, her work, and to boot, she got kicked out of college for failing grades. Everything seems to keep going wrong, especially when a sexy man walks into her life while she is working at the local Wal-Mart. He claims to be a vampire and that Emi is the only one that can save the vampires from extinction. Now with government agents and vampires vying for her, Emi has to decide who she will stand with. Her own kind, or does equal rights in the United States include those fictional beings that somehow became real in her life?

Dark Ink YA Fantasy (I'm thinking of adding a sequel to this and making it an actual series. I think that would be fun.)

Dragons, fairies, handsome princes, fair maidens...they all seem to be just fairytale. That is until Kara picks up a nice black feathered quill pen at an old magic shop in town. After that, everything she writes down comes to life in our world. The only way to get rid of everything that comes in is to end the story. With her own villain she created chasing her down to stop her from finishing, she must befriend her own characters and a friendly dragon in order to keep the villain at bay. It must be written or our world is finished.

I have a couple short stories and things as well, but I'll save those for later.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
Clare C.G

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:47 am

Those sound like amazing stories gobblegobble!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:53 am

Gobble, those sound totally awesome.

I'm working on another blurb about tSotD, but it's slow going. I'm really bad at them.

imaginary
Typing the first word

Female
Number of posts : 143
Job/hobbies : Writing, playing guitar, reading, drawing, listening to music

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:18 pm

Oh wow! Those sound awesome gobble! Especially Dark Ink! You have great story ideas!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft

Female
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:20 am

Thanks Novela and Imaginary. I have others but they aren't as fully developed stories as those I listed above. I've got a couple chic lit and a science fiction story too. As well as more fantasy.
Back to top Go down
Noelle Zaria
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-03-22

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:38 pm

Those sound amazing, gobble! Especially Lovely Dreams - can't wait to read it Wink

Last edited by Noelle Zaria on Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ReNu

Female
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:37 am

OK, I've finally mustered up enough courage. So here are mine:

1. CHIEF
Jobless, penniless and single, Kendra wishes for change and excitement and she gets more than she had bargained for as the nation is plunged into a war it cannot win. The country's morale is zero, people are dying or fleeing and there is chaos all around. Armed with a gas mask and a helmet, Kendra finds that she has the ability to reverse her people's fortunes. Will she rise to the challenge?

If you thought that was bad, wait till the next one...

2. BLOOD INK
Newly graduated Vin is delighted when she is offered a job as a ghostwriter at a book packaging syndicate. But from her first day at work, her weird boss, weirder co-workers and a handsome data manager contribute to her unease, and she is told to work on a horror series. And when she does begin to write, she realizes that whatever she writes is coming eerily, dangerously true...

Right. WHY did I do this?
Back to top Go down
Clare C.G

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:52 am

they sound brilliant ReNu!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ReNu

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:19 am

Thank you, Clare Shocked Hope you're sober.
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft

Female

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:30 am

The second one sounds good. I like your ideas ReNu, I really do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plot Synopsis   

Back to top Go down

Plot Synopsis
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next