The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
aresity
Brainstorming for Ideas
aresity

Female
Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : writing, drawing, reading, typing, playing video/computer games, dozing
Registration date : 2009-02-09

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Empty
PostSubject: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 2:54 am

Has anyone read the book already? I've read the summary in wikipedia and I think it's quite good. After all it has been produced to a movie several times. I just bought the book earlier, and its still plastic-covered. I have to make a subjective report, literary criticism about it for our Literature subject, and it's already due next week, aside from the powerpoint presentation I have to present the next day in front of the entire class.

To anyone who may have read it, can you rate The Scarlet Letter for me? The more excited I get, the faster I'll surely finish the book. (Obviously anticipating positive remarks) ^.^
Back to top Go down
http://www.cloudsandletters.blogspot.com
pronetoidiocy
Outlining the plot

Female
Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 3:28 am

I can give you a review aresity, some positive, some negative. I'm not a big fan of the classics, but I very much enjoyed this book.

The positive - I absolutely loved the plot. For being classic lit, boy was is scandalous. And you have some devolopments that throw you for a loop but are very well written.
The maybe-a-little-bit-negative - Hawthorne's writing takes a few minutes to get used to. He uses incredibly long sentences, and what you think might be a simple description is actually some form of symbolism, so that I would watch out for.

I would try to start reading it as soon as possible seeing as how your project is coming up soon. It's been a couple years since I have read it, but if you need any help, I can try!

Good luck with your essay and powerpoint, and happy reading!
Back to top Go down
aresity
Brainstorming for Ideas
aresity

Female
Job/hobbies : writing, drawing, reading, typing, playing video/computer games, dozing

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 3:38 am

Aww... Now I'm tempted to open it. I was supposed to open it when I'm mentally ready to cover it. I'm a bit lazy today. Anyway I checked the contents, and indeed, long paragraphs with compact sentences (and small font with barely line spaces) made it so distracting. I'm reading it tomorrow. Finally something to do! (It's extremely boring in school)

By the way, thank you for the comment! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male
Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Daydreamning
Humor : Who? Where?
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 6:36 am

Oh oh let me add something!! *waves frantically* I read this book because I *had* to for school, and I generally hate books I' m told I have to read, simply because I have to read them. Despite those staggering odds, I actually really enjoyed it, so that's saying a lot. I would totally read it again. In fact, I think I'm going to add it to my 52 books in 52 weeks list. Good call!

Prone's point on long descriptions and hidden symbolism is a good one - I had to "deeply explore the use of logic symbolism and how it related to the historic era" on the exam. Regardless of whats involved to do with the book - it's a really great read. Loved it.

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
aresity
Brainstorming for Ideas
aresity

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 7:12 am

Oh!! So I think it's really great my friend showed me this book from the library, Barron's Book Notes: Scarlet Letter. I'm really so excited now. Basing on the summary I think it'll really be worth it.

I'm quite convinced I'll enjoy this book. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyWed Feb 11, 2009 8:34 am

Loved it. The style is actually MUCH MUCH better than some of the classics on our Literature reading list. As prone said, brilliant plot. And the allusions....you could spend a month looking up the allusions alone. Plus, a happy ending (for Pearl especially) - take note, George Eliot (anyone who has read the ending of The Mill on the Floss will know why).
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
aresity
Brainstorming for Ideas
aresity

Female

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 3:53 am

My head's breaking from overflowing details. Furthermore, hard words made me dizzy as I was reading it earlier. And I'm taking longer time than usual in reading pages. Nevertheless I still enjoyed the plot and the story and Hester's character, especially. It's just the structure that's making it hard for me...

I'm taking a break for now.

(Thinking about it... My paper is due next Monday already. *groan*)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne   The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne Empty

Back to top Go down

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Writer's Chronicle :: The Library :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: