The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Your Favourite Short Stories

Go down 
+3
Bluepolarbear
Novel-Goddess
emilycross
7 posters
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Your Favourite Short Stories Empty
PostSubject: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptyFri Feb 06, 2009 9:35 am

A fan of Raymond Carver? or does Edgar Allen Poe's stories still give you chills everytime you read them?

Heres the place to discuss your love (and maybe dislike) for particular shortstories and their authors.
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those "you had to be there" jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 9:12 am

Ooh, I just love reading (and writing) short stories. I have so many collections that I've lost count...I think my favorite has to be Gothic! with stories by such greats as Vivian Vande Velde and Gregory MaGuire. I'd have to say that the best story in that particular book has to be Morgan Rohemar's Boys by Vivian Vande Velde. It gave me goosebumps. No joke. Angry ghosts, what's not to love?
Well...a lot. But reading about them (and writing about them, woot!) is fun.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 12:12 pm

Vivian Vande Velde - Oh her stories sound amazing novel, do you have the name of that story or a collection of hers? I love the macabre/gothic short stories that leave you lying in bed wide awake
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 12:23 pm

It's in the collection called Gothic!: Ten Original Dark Tales. Linkage to a review. My personal favorite was "Morgan Rohemar's Boys" by Vivian Vande Velde. Also amazing was Neil Gaiman's "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Nameless House of the Night of Dread Desire." It was so strange, but amazing.

Prom Nights from Hell was okay. I'm not going to lie, it was a bit of a letdown. More for the fangirly teenager than the true spooky story afficianado. Vampires I Have Kissed by Lydia Galt was okay, but nothing I would really read more than once.

I also love traditional stories for campfires. Scary Stories to Read in the Dark is among my favorite short story collections, although my absolute FAVORITE scary story has to be "Taily Po" which I tell every time the opportunity presents itself. It's so scary! Linkage.

Best story ever, I tell you. Although it's much more fun when it's told out loud instead of read. Smile
Back to top Go down
Bluepolarbear
March Competition Winner
Bluepolarbear

Female
Number of posts : 162
Job/hobbies : Once Therapist, now SAHM.
Humor : Yes Please!
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 pm

My Favorite Short Story was by Neil Gaiman in Fragile Things titled "Forbidden Brides of the Faceless Slaves in the Secret House of the Night of Dread Desire." It had such a twist and I was enthralled on how it was narrated and kept wondering what wold happen.

It was narrated in a very unique way too, at least I found it unique. It would be the author writing and then would have his crow talking to him and turn third person. Then it would go back to first person when he was writing. I loved it!
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptySun Feb 08, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeah, I agree.

I had to read it about three times before I understood it, but once I got it, it was aMAzing.
Back to top Go down
Alcyone
Consuasor of the Board
Alcyone

Female
Number of posts : 2
Humor : Snide
Registration date : 2009-02-06

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 3:27 pm

In no given order:

"The Lottery" by Shirley Jackson.

"A Rose for Emily" by William Faulkner.

"Eveline" by James Joyce.

"The Chaser" by John Collier.

"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge" by Ambrose Bierce.

"Eleonora" by Edgar Allan Poe.

"Desiree's Baby" by Kate Chopin.

"Young Goodman Brown" by Nathaniel Hawthorne.

"A Telephone Call" by Dorothy Parker.
Back to top Go down
http://inescapable.110mb.com/
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 8:27 pm

I love the Bradbury Thirteen Theater series where they took 13 of Ray Bradbury's short stories and did them like a radio show (with actors and everything). Some of the stories are "The Veldt", "A Sound of Thunder", "The Call", "The Man", "The Screaming Woman", "The Ravine", etc. I grew up listening to those since my Grandpa was an executive producer and they were produced at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. I think you can find some of the stories in print as well.

Some of Edgar Allen Poes stories, I can stand.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
TepidDreams
Brainstorming for Ideas
TepidDreams

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptyTue Mar 10, 2009 9:17 pm

"The Story of an Hour" By Kate Chopin
"The Landlady" By Roald Dahl
Back to top Go down
Jon Paul
Outlining the plot
Jon Paul

Male
Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2010-01-03

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories EmptyMon Jan 04, 2010 9:45 am

"The Lottery" and "An Occurrence At Owl Creek Bridge" are pretty high on my list.

For simplicity, I like Jack London's "To Build A Fire".

For perfectly capturing that feeling of being seventeen--and making it stick--I really like Updike's "A&P".

And Cheever's "The Swimmer" shows his mastery of tone and pace. I don't think there's a single adverb in the whole piece--at least that's how I remember it.

I guess I'm gonna have to go read it again to find out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Favourite Short Stories   Your Favourite Short Stories Empty

Back to top Go down

Your Favourite Short Stories
Page 1 of 1