The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Pen Names

Go down 
+5
daeonica
ReNu
Novel-Goddess
gobblegobble
emilycross
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 8:55 am

Ok as all of you know my pen name is Emily Cross. Heres a place to discuss pen names, how you came about to decide to use them, what you think etc.

I've always liked the name emily, it always sounded very sophisticated and literary and is the first name of one of my favourite poets (emily dickinson). I find it hard to remember how cross came about. I think i was trying to decide on a surname (for a time i considered Mason -which i still like), writing all the names out and how it felt to sign the names, when i looked at my 21st present which was a 'cross pen' and it clicked. I loved the sound of it andi felt like a different person. I had a name which belonged on the front of a book cover.

I was talking to one of my friends, and in a moment of bonding and weakness i told her tentatively that i wanted to be a writer and i had a pen name

'what is it?' she asked

'emily cross'

'why emily cross?' her face scrunched in a confused frown

'well, i always liked emily' i said, pausing for a second,

'and i guess i'm always cross'

Well my friend almost fell off her chair laughing her ass off. . . humpf well i suppose my real like name is Mary, and i've lived with 'mary mary quite contrary' all my life, so maybe i liked the name so much because of that Laughing

does anyone else have any anecdotes or reasons for their pen name?

I also added this little game - its penname generator http://www.testcafe.com/pen/ for a bit of fun

SciFi - Michelle Adams (not bad)

Romance Michelle Mason (ha!! its a sign,)

Childrens M. M. Silverbirch
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male
Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Daydreamning
Humor : Who? Where?
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 11:19 am

Forgive the language, Emily, totally read S.S. Silverbitch at first and I was very confused why that would be good for a children's author.

Ren is actually a second identity for me, and has, in a weird way, become a second name to which I respond. It started when I was little and my parents were worried about me getting online and told me never to give my real name out online. So I came up with an internet alternate ego-type thing. The first thing I thought of? Serena from Sailor Moon. Very Happy

It got shortened to Rena and then Ren through people giving me nicknames, and as I grew older, even though I realized it was a little extreme to have a second first name, Ren had become a part of me. I wrote under that name, played online games under that name. It was a part of me. (Ironically Sailor Moon fanficton was my first writing.)

So Ren was the natural choice of a penname. Emily, actually, suggested 'Feathers' for a last name. Feathers is also one of my nicknames, but it was given to me by a friend who knows of my crazy obsession with angels and wings and... feathers. (Massive love of angels. And vampires. Angels and vampires. Mm. (demons who?) )

Feathers was my screen name on the 'Lex, and Emily randomly suggested Ren Feathers for a name and... well, It's one of those things that fit together so perfectly it practically hit me over the head with a two-by-four. It may not sound as... normal or as literary as 'Emily Cross' but it's a really important combination of names to me. Smile

<3 Ren Feathers
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 11:24 am

Ren - i think thats what is important! as long as you feel its apart of you!

Epona has the same feel for me Ren, i have to stop myself from typing it on my emails when i'm in college. it really is like a second first name, while emily cross feels like a different persona.

haha very multiple personality ahaha. Oh btw i HATED rena (my memory is bad - but tuxedo masks and serena's daughter) but i love you Wink
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 11:25 am

I'm not going to use a pen name because everyone already thinks my real name is my pen name--works for me.

I love hearing about everyone else's pennames though!
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 11:33 am

emilycross wrote:

haha very multiple personality ahaha. Oh btw i HATED rena (my memory is bad - but tuxedo masks and serena's daughter) but i love you Wink
It's been a long time since I've seen it, I think that was Rini though. I took my name from Sailor Moon herself. so no worries there. I didn't like the pink haired brat, either. Very Happy

I tend to sign things 'Ren' and I have to be careful to put my real name on official documents. Or put my trademark heart in front of my real name when I write to my professors!!

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 11:43 am

Ren wrote:

I tend to sign things 'Ren' and I have to be careful to put my real name on official documents. Or put my trademark heart in front of my real name when I write to my professors!!

<3 Ren

Laughing

seriously though, i find it so strange when people change their screenname or tell me their real name because i almost always think 'your screenname suits you better' i think its cause you choose your screen name. and names (from psychology) can have an impact on your life and how your portrayed.
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those &quot;you had to be there&quot; jokes.

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 12:08 pm

I was toying around with a penname for a while: Vivian Carlton. Vivian is the name of one of my favorite authors, and Carlton is the last name of the singer of the song that came on the radio when I turned it on that day.
Now, however, I'm just sticking with my real name. Even if there *are* over 3,000 people in the USA with my name. Ah, well.
I've actually been thinking about using Jenna DeLuca. Jenna's my nickname and DeLuca is my stepdad's last name (and it will be mine if we can ever get on the ball and get the adoption papers).

As for my username, it's not vanity. Really. My best friend Cat came up with it one day by saying that I'm a "goddess of novel-writing." Then she just started calling me Novel-Goddess. I was going to just use my name over here, but I wanted everybody to recognize that I'm the same person from the Draft, ya know?

I did that penname thing earlier and these were the two that made any sense:
Breanne Wallace
Breanne James

If I was going to use one of those, I'd go with Breanne Wallace. I may use it as the name of a character in the future. Perhaps. Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 12:20 pm

Nobody Cole?? Sad Crying or Very sad No pale

I'm a nobody??

That's the pen-name test result for me Sad
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm sorry Renu. That's not a fun pen name.

I got Louise Powers for a SciFi/Fantasy pen name.

And then for these other genres I got:

J.L. Navajo for Children's
Persnickety Pleasant Grove Gobble for Beat Poet (lol)
Louise Jeremy for Romance.

Yeah, I'll stick with my real name thank you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
ReNu
ReNu

Female
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 7:23 pm

Ditto.

That was my fantasy pen-name. I didn't try the others. What if I got Lousy Writer?
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those &quot;you had to be there&quot; jokes.

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyFri Apr 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Well, that's when you tell the universe that's handing you lemons to stuff it. Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptySat Apr 11, 2009 4:20 am

ReNu, did you put anything in for your middle name? it seems to use that for the first pen name?
Back to top Go down
ReNu
ReNu

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptySun Apr 12, 2009 9:20 am

Nope, left out the middle name. I would try it again, but scared of getting "Writes Only Crap"
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 4:13 am

I don't think I'm going to use a pen name. My first name is different enough, but I might change my last name. I'm not sure what I'd change it to, though.
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyMon Apr 13, 2009 12:42 pm

Ooo fun! My pen name is Anne Fourth and here's why...

Its my middle name (not anymore) and the street I lived on when I started using it. The funny story part is that I lived on a different street my whole life, but one day the sign got rotated so that instead of living on Edgewood I lived on the street that ran perpendicular to it, Fourth Street. And I thought it was apparently striking enough to keep as a pen name. I've been using it ever since (though when I post stuff for people I know I usually sign it with Julie, cause y'all know me anyway.)

My other newish pen name is MJ. Cause my online name *everywhere* is missjulie and recently people started calling me MJ, so some stuff I've been signing MJ lately.

I like the name Blue Lycaenidae but the last name is damn near impossible to pronounce and would be a terrible pen name!! I'll probably stick with Anne Fourth if I ever published anything ^.^
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:22 am

missjulie wrote:
I like the name Blue Lycaenidae but the last name is damn near impossible to pronounce and would be a terrible pen name!!

From looking at some of the things people sometimes say they're going to use as pen names (no one here, yet) I think that's something a lot of people forget. They come up with something that they think is a great pen name, because it's pretty and individual, and seem to forget that no reader is going to be able to pronounce it, let alone be able to remember it when they want to find a book or sequels in the shop.
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:27 am

Ren's pretty easy. Very Happy I agree with you, though, MissJulie. It's a really pretty name, and I think *I* can say it, but I'd never remember how to spell it if I wanted to look for another book. (I mean, how many people spell Ms. Meyer's first name as Stephanie? - not quite as important as her last name is correct, but it sort of fits.)

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am

Yeah, Ren is pretty easy. Wink

I wondered for a while about changing my first name, because some people have trouble pronouncing it, but I don't think it's that bad, really. And there aren't many other authors called Ailsa.
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:37 am

Yea, I think about trying to find an author in Borders, either looking on the shelf or having to use the computer... Fourth is WAY easier than Lycaenidae!!
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 am

Well, Dae, (Should I use daeonica? I shortened it without permission) keep in mind as long as the last name is easy to remember/spell, it'll be fine. It's much harder to find an author when you only know their first name, but not their last, but much easier if you only have the last. Then you scroll through the list and hear the first and think "that's it!" And I think Ailsa is really pretty. (...how would one pronounce that correctly? :p) I can think of a couple ways, so as long as I heard it once I think I would remember it and get it right after that.

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 12:00 pm

Ren wrote:
Well, Dae, (Should I use daeonica? I shortened it without permission)

Dae is fine. Everyone else seems to be using that, and it is much quicker/easier to write.

Ren wrote:
And I think Ailsa is really pretty. (...how would one pronounce that correctly? :p) I can think of a couple ways, so as long as I heard it once I think I would remember it and get it right after that.

<3 Ren

You pronounce the first half as kind of a mix between 'ail' (as in, "what ails you?") and 'ill'.
And the 'sa' is just sa. Some people say 'za', but it doesn't make much difference. Wink
And I'll respond to any variations of it, really. I went to a week's camp thing in England a few years ago, and it was hilarious the different pronunciations they had.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 12:04 pm

I think Ailsa is a beautiful name! Dae, i would definitly keep it no matter what surname you pick
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 pm

Aww, thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Number of posts : 203
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.
Humor : Laughing at my spastic self
Registration date : 2009-04-15

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyWed Apr 15, 2009 8:44 pm

I have been trying to think of a pen name, myself. I considered using the first name, Penelope (it's a nickname of mine, even though it's not remotely close to my first name. It's actually a COMPLETELY OFF mispronunciation of my last name. I thought it was still kind of me, and people still call me that, so I liked that and it seemed like I was still me), but I have such a terrible time picking a last name. I would never want to use my own last name (as you can probably tell, it's hard to pronounce at first glance. Then again, says the one who had two different pronunciations for "Meyer"), but I just can't think of something where I go, "That's it!" or "That's so me!"

I tried the generator that was provided, but I got "Helen Steele." In my opinion, I sound like an old, angry hag (And excuse me for my language...). :/ (No offense to anyone with that first, last, or both of those names D: ) I don't know, it just doesn't seem to fit my personality at all. Even though Helen is my middle name, Penelope seems to be more me. Ugh. D:
Back to top Go down
http://member.mibba.com/54014/
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names EmptyThu Apr 16, 2009 3:02 am

Well lets see

Penelope Adams

Penelope Madison

Penelope Andrews

Penelope Scott

Penelope Connors

Penelope Cornwall

Penelope Davis

- you need to figure out what 'sound' you'd like and then look at names beginning with that sound. wikipedia is good for most common surnames in countries.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Pen Names Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pen Names   Pen Names Empty

Back to top Go down

Pen Names
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next