The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Writing Woes

Go down 
+13
missjulie
ReNu
Novel-Goddess
Bluepolarbear
Lapillus
Ren
DPowell
sdficklin
aresity
pronetoidiocy
imaginary
daeonica
emilycross
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Grumble Grumble . . .   Writing Woes EmptyThu Feb 05, 2009 1:11 pm

Having a bad day? Computer froze? Word docs deleted? No time to write? or Don't know what to write?

This is the place to post and rant and pull some hair out. . .
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 11:04 am

For the first time in days, I have the motivation to write. I open Word, go to my folder for my WIP, and discover that the most up-to-date version of the chapter I'm working on is at school. Not a happy bunny. Mad
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 12:14 pm

daeonica wrote:
For the first time in days, I have the motivation to write. I open Word, go to my folder for my WIP, and discover that the most up-to-date version of the chapter I'm working on is at school. Not a happy bunny. Mad

Nooooo - oh Dae (is this ok for nickname?), i HATE when that happens! I don't know how many times that has happened to me, this is why i'm one of those crazy people with usb stick in their pencil case
Back to top Go down
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female
Number of posts : 143
Job/hobbies : Writing, playing guitar, reading, drawing, listening to music
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 12:59 pm

I know how you feel Daeonica! A little while ago my laptop was stolen, which had the latest version of my story. It was very upsetting, not only because it was gone, but because now some strangers have my story and can do whatever they want with it.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 1:52 pm

imaginary wrote:
I know how you feel Daeonica! A little while ago my laptop was stolen, which had the latest version of my story. It was very upsetting, not only because it was gone, but because now some strangers have my story and can do whatever they want with it.

OMG - i wouldn't know what i would do if that happened! its scary how much my laptop means to me. remember last year me and my housemate debating how we'd save our laptop if their was a fire (our bedrooms on second floor) - i'd be so mad! especially with your novel on it!
Back to top Go down
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptySat Feb 07, 2009 4:18 pm

emilycross wrote:
imaginary wrote:

OMG - i wouldn't know what i would do if that happened! its scary how much my laptop means to me. remember last year me and my housemate debating how we'd save our laptop if their was a fire (our bedrooms on second floor) - i'd be so mad! especially with your novel on it!

Yeah, I was pretty angry. I had printed an early copy of it, so I only lost a few thousand words at most. Next time, I'm going to email it to myself or something so even if it does get stolen, I still have it.

Funny, because I always worry about fires too. I have like four or five journals of poems in my bedroom and I'd be devastated if they were lost in a fire. I keep thinking about getting a fireproof safe.
Back to top Go down
pronetoidiocy
Outlining the plot

Female
Number of posts : 45

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 3:44 am

My gripe is an old one, but I feel it merits some grumbling. I had all my fanfics and the beginnings and research on my flashdrive, but made the mistake of not saving it all to my hard drive.
Well, of course I lost my flash drive, which pretty much held all my current writing. All I had was stuff that I hadn't updated on my hard drive in a long time. I was not a happy camper.
Back to top Go down
aresity
Brainstorming for Ideas
aresity

Female
Number of posts : 13
Job/hobbies : writing, drawing, reading, typing, playing video/computer games, dozing
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 5:08 am

I just lost this CD which contains my drafts and stories. Can't find it. Anyway, they're all rejects. It's just a shame, I could've used them for future reference.

Well, (sigh) anyway, here's my little writing rant: I hate it when school keeps us so busy. It distracts my writing so disastrously that when I sit on it again (after aeons) I either forget the webs and conflicts of my story (sometimes even the names of some characters), or I eventually weave another brand new storyline in my mind, thus leaving the previous one undone.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cloudsandletters.blogspot.com
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 4:01 pm

pronetoidiocy wrote:
My gripe is an old one, but I feel it merits some grumbling. I had all my fanfics and the beginnings and research on my flashdrive, but made the mistake of not saving it all to my hard drive.
Well, of course I lost my flash drive, which pretty much held all my current writing. All I had was stuff that I hadn't updated on my hard drive in a long time. I was not a happy camper.

Oh my gosh, that is so horrible! I would be so upset too! At least my computer was fairly new so it didn't have much on it besides that one story! I'm sorry! Sad
Back to top Go down
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 4:03 pm

aresity wrote:
I just lost this CD which contains my drafts and stories. Can't find it. Anyway, they're all rejects. It's just a shame, I could've used them for future reference.

Well, (sigh) anyway, here's my little writing rant: I hate it when school keeps us so busy. It distracts my writing so disastrously that when I sit on it again (after aeons) I either forget the webs and conflicts of my story (sometimes even the names of some characters), or I eventually weave another brand new storyline in my mind, thus leaving the previous one undone.

So do you have final drafts of anything?

I feel the same way about school! I'd totally do the NaNoWriMo(is that how you spell it?) but If I did I'd probably fail all my classes!
Back to top Go down
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female
Number of posts : 47

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Sorry, I'm on a rant   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 pm

One of the most frustrating things about writing is sending those monstorus query letters. Yesterday, because i was bored and still hadn't heard back from either the agent or publisher who have my MS, i sent out a few more queries. of the 3 that went out i got one auto rejection and one instant request for a full.

Super.

What buggs me is the 10 or so agents i've queried in the past few months who requested a partial or a synopsis and NEVER GOT BACK TO ME.
If you want to just delete my query, no big deal. After a few weeks, i assume no response means no, and delete you from my list. However, if you are going to request materials from me, i at least want a no thanks letter, in a reasonable time frame, so i don't keep pining away for someone who isn't interested. That's part of the reason that I will still send queries once in a while, even if someone is looking at my book. Who knows if that person is ever going to get back to you?

Mad
Back to top Go down
http://sherryficklin.com/Home_Page.html
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 2:08 pm

For example, i sent a query last april to a very popular agent, who responded enthusiastically and within a few days. She wanted my MS. She loved me, she loved my partial, how soon could i get the whole thing to her?
I expressed mailed it the next day. Not a peep since then.
I e-mailed 3 months later looking for a follow up. Had she even recieved it?
No response.
6 months later i decided to re-query.
Nada.

It's just frustrating!!!
Anyone else having these fits???
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 2:33 pm

wow that sounds so strange, have you tried ringing her directly? i've read Lagent blogs alot and i've seen people write in like that and it seems bad form to leave an author hanging like that especially when requesting forms etc.

could she have moved agencies? gone on maturnity leave or something? email seems to distant - i'd ring if i was you.
Back to top Go down
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:43 pm

Nah, she's still there. I just feel like a stakler calling. Maybe I should though. Not too creepy, right?
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:46 pm

No just make sure you know what to say before hand, act polite etc. and make sure you remind her that she asked for partial SIX MONTHS AGO - and that you followed up with an email etc. and that you would like to know where you stand etc.

I mean you asked for an update months after the request - with no response. you've every right to ask. just remember polite etc. you might want to query her again in the future
Back to top Go down
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:49 pm

Ok, I called. Left a voice mail. Heavens, i felt like a dufus!!
"Um, hi...you requested my manuscript back in MAY and I hadn't heard back..." LOL. No, it was bad though. I'm a dufus!
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:51 pm

well leave it for three days, next time ring - don't leave a message or anything until you are through to her or who you want.

God this agent is impossible to get or something lol
Back to top Go down
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:53 pm

Well, she is one of the TOP agents in the country. Insane right? To be honest, I'd almost rather work with one of the agents who's been better about communications, you know?
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:55 pm

well you see thats the thing, from what i can see - the agent and author relationship is very important so apart from actually getting a agent you need one that suits your style and needs. Still wait and see - she may have never gotten the manu, or mislead it somewhere.

Your still waiting on other agents, yeah? hows that going?
Back to top Go down
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 3:57 pm

Well, it's good. Just slow. There are 3 agents with it now (counting mis forgettful-pants) and one publisher from a small e-book publishing house. It's just a case of hurry up and wait...
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 4:09 pm

aw thats great - well 'patience' is more than a virtue when it comes to writing its a necessity. I'll have my fingers crossed. the three agents - are they all partial requests? thats amazing, your novel must be brilliant - well done!
Back to top Go down
sdficklin
Outlining the plot
sdficklin

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyWed Feb 18, 2009 4:11 pm

No, full requests. I have only 1 partial out, and i'm not expecting much. The agent didn't seem real enthusiastic.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 2:44 am

still requests for any partial is amazing and shows your on the right track!
Back to top Go down
DPowell
Brainstorming for Ideas

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2009-02-18

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 7:52 am

Hey SD,

That's a frustrating situation, to be sure. Agents, especially big sellers, can be a bit flighty. I think that's just par for the course. But that's an awful long time to wait. A nudge is certainly in order.

I recently nudged an editor who had a story exclusively for almost a year. I sent a letter with a self-addressed post card. Still waiting on that one.

My advice is to draft a polite letter and drop it in the mail. I think many editors and agents still do business the old fashioned way.

Good luck with the manuscript!

Dan
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male
Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Daydreamning
Humor : Who? Where?
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes EmptyThu Feb 19, 2009 8:41 am

Wow. And here I thought my biggest problem was going to be FINISHING my story. Anyway, I definitely don't think it's rude or impolite to request a follow-up. I mean, seeing as I'm not published, I can't say from that venue, but I have applied to jobs, ect., and I think it's totally in your ballpark. I mean, I put in a resume, and they want an interview. Yay! Then they want a second interview, yay! And then I don't hear anything for two, three weeks. So yeah, definitely follow up.

Here at Uni, I'm working to tailor my degree to what I want to do. The structure is loosely set up, and while post people follow the straight and narrow, I'm doing some... very creative things with my career path. Most people don't want to let me do what I'm doing, but (and thus my point for bringing this up) I'm a really big fan of 'Make-It-Work-For-Ren'. I just want to make my life happen. Sometimes that involves getting on someone's butt until I get what I want from them.

So, I'm in Emily's boat. Wait a couple days and if still no response, call her like she's got the keys to stop Armageddon next week. Just, when you finally do get her, Emily's also right about being polite. Maybe have a notecard with what you want to say by the phone - it's not like she'll ever know you're reading from it. Very Happy

Best of luck!

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Writing Woes Empty
PostSubject: Re: Writing Woes   Writing Woes Empty

Back to top Go down

Writing Woes
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next