The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The stupid things non- writers say

Go down 
+4
*Moonlight_Mania*
Clare C.G
Ren
emilycross
8 posters
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

The stupid things non- writers say Empty
PostSubject: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 12:57 pm

my favourite brother quote:

'why don't we collaborate, i'll come up with the ideas and you write them. We'll split it 50/50' Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male
Number of posts : 249
Job/hobbies : Daydreamning
Humor : Who? Where?
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyMon Jun 22, 2009 4:43 pm

Hahahaha. Oh man - I think I'm going to like this thread. I've heard something like that before, myself. That usually comes in the form of someone requesting a fanfic. Like with Victoria and Carlisle making out or something. I'm like 'I'm not a machine... guys... I don't just kick out fanfiction.'

Not quite as funny, but this one I had to roll my eyes at:

"Can you write me into your story? pleeeease?"

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 3:11 am

Oh Laughing

i have another one:

Me & my brother talking in the car (where all 'real' conversations seem to happen i.e captive audience)

Brother: So, you have a ten year plan for your writing career

Me: yup, i'm going to work in a boring dayjob and give myself ten years to meet my goals for my writing (be published), then after that i'll re-assess the situation.

Brother: after those ten years though, when you're not published you'll actually do something with yourself won't you?

*headdesk* Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Clare C.G
Fleshing out those Characters
Clare C.G

Female
Number of posts : 55
Job/hobbies : Shop Assistant/writer
Humor : being cat food to an ID crisis tiger is not on my To-Do list!
Registration date : 2009-03-07

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 1:32 pm

Ren wrote:

"Can you write me into your story? pleeeease?"

<3 Ren

Oh my god, when I was writing S Club 8 fanfics I got that a lot. With two people I did in fact write them in. One of them didn't have that much of a big role and the other one I slowly turned evil because she started to get on my nerves.
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Number of posts : 203
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.
Humor : Laughing at my spastic self
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyTue Jun 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Ahahah these are absolutely genius. The sad thing is: people ACTUALLY say them. *sigh* They just don't get us.

One of my favorites is when I'm at my laptop writing, my brother will sometimes walk over. I always wear earphones and listen to music while writing to cut out any distractions or sound. When my mom is trying to get my attention, I usually don't hear her. That is, until my brother says (loudly), "Don't bother, she's writing." Rolling Eyes What did I ever do to them?

@Emily: Oh my God those are rich. Coming up with the ideas is one of the main jobs of the writer. Plus, you know, ACTUALLY writing it. Saying "I'll come up with one little detail in the plot if you write the 500 page novel we can split it 50/50" does not fly. Razz

I sometimes get people asking me to write stuff for them, such as certain types of stories or with certain characters or something "as a gift for your Aunt because she really loves you." D; This isn't really stupid as much as makes me just go "but...but...I can't!"

The best is how my Mom tries to help me. I usually don't talk about it with her is like me automatically zoning out, because they are the most ridiculous things, things that seem so simple to her that are completely impossible. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://member.mibba.com/54014/
RosyT
Fleshing out those Characters

Female
Number of posts : 71
Job/hobbies : University lecturer; novelist
Registration date : 2009-03-05

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 6:40 am

The stupidest thing people say to me now that I'm published is, 'So now you're going to be rich and famous?' (with or without some humorous reference to JK Rowling).

Ha flipping ha!

Rosy
Back to top Go down
http://www.rosythornton.com
Akurei_Enzeru
Our Poster Extradonaire
Akurei_Enzeru

Female
Number of posts : 232
Job/hobbies : Student; Unpublished Author; Artist; Musician; Composer
Humor : Dark, crude, disturbing....
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 7:06 pm

To intervene myself, I've gotten that a lot. I write Fanfic on a site and people email me all the time:

"Can you make the characters do this"

or

"Make _____ end up with ____. Oh oh oh and and ____!"

it gets aggravating.

A lot of people ask me if i can create a character after them for my novels -mainly my ten series one-. This got so annoying that i did this:

Me: "Sure I'll make you a character..."

Them: "yay!"

a series of random questions i use to make characters and....

Me: "There, all done."

Them: "Great, What book will it be in?!"

Me: "Book? You asked me to make a character, not put it IN the book!"

They usually get mad and storm off. I have like three note books full of these random character profiles!
Back to top Go down
http://blackrosechronicles.yolasite.com
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Haha. I love that. Maybe I'll use that next time someone wants me to make them into a character.

So, some of you know this, some of you don't. I wrote an eight-chapter Twilight fanfic (which I endearingly refer to as a fluffic, as it's pure fluff) about Edward secretly giving Bella roses on valentine's day. Only catch is, they weren't speaking at the time, so the reader knows who did it, in the end Bella can't find out. At the beginning of the story, I explicitly said 'Canon only, don't get your hopes up.' at the last chapter, I said I was finished, wouldn't be writing anymore, no makeout scenes, because it's supposed to slip right into the storyline, right?

I kid you not, at least one out of five reviews went something along the lines of "wow that was so cool omg ur amazing but lyke, u shul rite mor an hav edward kiss bella or ask her on a date or they shuld make out that wuld b perfect!!!!111"

And I'm like ".....kay. Sure, let me get right on that."

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
Akurei_Enzeru
Our Poster Extradonaire
Akurei_Enzeru

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:12 pm

Same here, I wrote a few fanfic's on this site, Fanfiction.net, and they were like rated M and everyone is riding me to make the characters do this, or change the characters ect ect.

I told them this:

"Listen, this is called MY fanfiction account, that means I wrote the story and I will keep writing MY story. You don't like how i do it, you don't have to read it."

they shut up, but kept reading ^^ it was funny

~Akurei Enzeru
Back to top Go down
Ren
L'amour de Morgan
Ren

Male

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Well, if it was rated M, they probably wanted you to write our THEIR character fantasy. Which was always awkward for me. I'm like "naw" - for one, I sort of 'channel' the characters, get inside their heads, and there are things that they would. not. do. And as a fanfiction writer, yes I explore non-canon situations, but the characters behave as they normally would. Therefore, even if the author didn't write the characters doing that particular thing, I'm still true to what I think the character would do. Wow now I'm rambling, but I totally think you get what I'm saying.

<3 Ren
Back to top Go down
Akurei_Enzeru
Our Poster Extradonaire
Akurei_Enzeru

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyWed Jun 24, 2009 9:25 pm

Yeah...see i didn't write the rated M stories from my own fantasy but more from my own ordeal..... {long story you'd have to read it to get it}

Anyway, yeah i get what your saying that's why I always tell the people that if they want it one way, write it and read it that way.

~Akurei Enzeru
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 2:17 am

I think its so funny that FF writers get so much hastle! I remember back when i wrote a ff (i was young Laughing - a smallville/xman cross over) that when the time came for Rogue to be with someone (Clark or Remy) - there was like a bloody explosion. I couldn't stick it so, i actually wrote 5 chapters for each pairing (only with minor changes) cause people put me under so much pressure - i'm a door mat, but talk about a load of extra work!!!!

After that i learn't my lesson. lol
Back to top Go down
Akurei_Enzeru
Our Poster Extradonaire
Akurei_Enzeru

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 8:20 am

Yeah ><

Me, i tell them to back off and write their own stories if they want it so bad.

Or i tell them to go to my site and request it, because i do requests for writing and art. God you have NO idea how many i got! but it's a paying job so it's all good ^.-

Yeah extra work for sure, but writing is fun, and the extra work helps you practice!

~Akurei Enzeru
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 11:51 am

@Ren: (I can't find the quote button either T_T) xD <3 I love that fanfiction. That's when I was all "omg i luv u marry me" and you were like "no but come join WC" (warning, some of this may be altered). But yeah, fanfiction, to me, should still have the characters as they should be. I've read fanfiction where things happen that the characters would never do :/ It makes me sad, because then it's more like "different plot + different characters = write your own original novel." I guess it's kind of a safety blanket for a lot of people

@Akurei: You get paid to write? o_O Or like, paid with other stuff, as in you both write and exchange them based on requests or something. x-X *confuzzled*
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:00 pm

*Moonlight_Mania* wrote:
But yeah, fanfiction, to me, should still have the characters as they should be.

This is how fanfiction is to me too, Moon. I prefer canon stuff, and if it's AU, then it should still have the characters being themselves, mostly within the story/world set up for them.
Back to top Go down
Akurei_Enzeru
Our Poster Extradonaire
Akurei_Enzeru

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:11 pm

Moon ~ Yes, I get paid like money. I let the person tell me what they want and how long it is and then i tell them a price. I don't make them very high prices, but even a few dollars is a few dollars i didn't have before ^^

~Akurei Enzeru
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:17 pm

>w<; Can someone define "canon" for me? I don't know any of the terms, I just like reading them. ._.;
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:18 pm

*Moonlight_Mania* wrote:
>w<; Can someone define "canon" for me? I don't know any of the terms, I just like reading them. ._.;

Hold on a sec, and I'll find the definition. I know a site that has a good one. I'll edit this post in a minute with it.

EDIT: Here: Fanfic tips - examples of canon are in 7 a & b. That page has a lot of other useful things on it.
Back to top Go down
Akurei_Enzeru
Our Poster Extradonaire
Akurei_Enzeru

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyThu Jun 25, 2009 12:31 pm

That's cool ^^ i'm sure a bunch of us could use a link like that, thanks Daeonica!

~Akurei Enzeru
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 2:00 pm

OK so my mother says to me

"i'm letting you have the month of august to write your book!"

As in write a book in 30 days and be ready to submit!?! seriously?

*shakes Head*

Sometimes i wonder about my mother Laughing and apart from that she's not giving me a month to write when she's handing me the job section of the newspaper !!!
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptySun Aug 23, 2009 8:03 pm

Well people do it for NaNoWriMo all the time, right? Laughing
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyMon Aug 24, 2009 5:54 am

Ha, yeah and then spend a year of rewriting.

By the way was wondering if anyone would be interested in a Sept-Oct NaNoWriMo? Our own version?
Back to top Go down
dianapaz
Always looking on the Bright Side

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2009-09-07

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 12:15 pm

And I just blogged about this the other day!

I've definitely heard the "here's my idea, you write it and split the dough," and also, "Write me into your story! It doesn't have to be a big part, just a sweet little tavern wench kinda thing... oooh and make my boyfriend the stable boy... and show us running off together..." And at what point do I fit my story into all this?

Laughing

Diana
www.writingrollercoasters.blogspot.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.writingrollercoasters.blogspot.com
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say EmptyTue Sep 08, 2009 12:21 pm

Haha diana - the stable boy and tavern wench story is hilarious! Laughing

sometimes i wonder about people . . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The stupid things non- writers say   The stupid things non- writers say Empty

Back to top Go down

The stupid things non- writers say
Page 1 of 1