The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Anthem by Ayn Rand

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female
Number of posts : 143
Job/hobbies : Writing, playing guitar, reading, drawing, listening to music
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyMon Feb 09, 2009 4:43 pm

One of the best books I've ever read was Anthem by Ayn Rand. It was one of the few books that I was actually happy to read in school. One thing really unique about it was it didn't use the word "I" until the second to last chapter or somewhere around there. It was so thought-provoking and I couldn't put it down. A masterpiece in my mind. What do you all think about it? And if you haven't read(or you have and want this version) it I would suggest finding a copy of the 50th aniversary edition, which contains the first publication in the back.
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 7:53 am

I love this book... but its been sooo long since I read it. I think I might speed through it again this weekend.

I also remember the "I" use at the end and thinking how utterly profound that was. And I so wasn't expecting the end... I mean I was, but the actual "big reveal" really stunned me. very thought provoking.

^_^
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyThu Feb 12, 2009 7:08 pm

missjulie wrote:
I love this book... but its been sooo long since I read it. I think I might speed through it again this weekend.

I also remember the "I" use at the end and thinking how utterly profound that was. And I so wasn't expecting the end... I mean I was, but the actual "big reveal" really stunned me. very thought provoking.

^_^

Yeah, it was really quite profound. I love books based in the future, and this was definitely my favorite. It's hard to imagine a life like that! Great story.
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those "you had to be there" jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 6:56 am

I read it last year in school and actually didn't mind it. It sort of reminded me of The Giver in the fact that everything is so controlled. I liked the ending -- it was pretty great.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Novel-Goddess wrote:
I read it last year in school and actually didn't mind it. It sort of reminded me of The Giver in the fact that everything is so controlled. I liked the ending -- it was pretty great.

Yeah, it did remind me of the Giver! Which is one of my favorite books also! I think books with a utopia society that goes wrong are so fascinating.
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 9:25 pm

Both Anthem and The Giver disturbed me. I liked them (I re-read The Giver on a regular basis) but they just didn't sit right with me. The concepts were just creepy enough to make me shudder and get that cold, something's-watching-me feeling.
Hmm...Maybe I'll re-read Anthem...
Back to top Go down
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:02 pm

Yeah, they are quite disturbing, but I think that is the point. I think the author wants to convey the messages of how life can be in the future, if we let,rules and/or technology go to far. Another book you might consider reading is the Handmaids Tale. It is also very thought-provoking, but to warn you, there is some adult content. Some other interesting books based in the future, are the Bar Code Tattoo, Declaration, and the Uglies series.
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:09 pm

I have read the Uglies series. That was yet another set of books that were just thought-provoking enough and provided just enough commentary that they disturbed me. It took me a really long time to get through Pretties and Specials.
I know somebody who's read The Bar Code Tattoo. She said it sucked -- but then again, I know this person well enough to say that she hates books that are meant to shock your senses like that.
Back to top Go down
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:15 pm

Well, to be honest with you, I haven't read the Bar Code Tattoo in like two or three years, but when I read it, I remember liking it. I should probably read it again, but considering I still remember some of it, that means it had to stick with me.

I really liked the Uglies throught the Specials but the Extras wasn't my favorite. I wish it had been in Tally's (is that her name?) point of view. But I loved to read about all the technology and things they had.
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:18 pm

Yeah, I loved reading about all the technology.

Extras annoyed me. Seriously. Specials really didn't sit right with me. Pretties was...eh. Personally, I thought it could have easilly been ended after Uglies.

But that's off topic...

In Anthem, I really liked how it was "us" instead of "I" and "them" instead of him or her. I don't think any of us in my English class really realized how much we say "I" until we read that book.

I wrote a paper about that, I think...I'll see if I can dig it out.
Back to top Go down
imaginary
Typing the first word
imaginary

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptyFri Feb 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Novel-Goddess wrote:
In Anthem, I really liked how it was "us" instead of "I" and "them" instead of him or her. I don't think any of us in my English class really realized how much we say "I" until we read that book.

I thought that was so brilliant! It was almost heartbreaking to read Equality say "we" instead of "I". How horrible would it be to be stripped of your identity, of your right to do anything, even WRITE! It's hard to imagine a society like that, yet that book puts into perspective of how real that could become. Scary.
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptySun May 03, 2009 5:30 am

I cant wait to read some of Ayn Rand's work. on my '100 book list' - i'm going to read atlas shrugged.

Has anyone read this book?
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand EmptySun May 03, 2009 12:10 pm

I haven't read Atlas Shrugged, but I keep meaning to get it from the library. Lemme know what you think of it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anthem by Ayn Rand   Anthem by Ayn Rand Empty

Back to top Go down

Anthem by Ayn Rand
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Writer's Chronicle :: The Library :: The Book Shelf-
Jump to: