The Writer's Chronicle
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LOOK OUT PUBLISHING WORLD! WE'RE MASSING TOGETHER AND ARE ON OUR WAY!

WC HomeHomeWC BlogPortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Characters: Names & Personality

Go down 
+14
Anne Gilbert
sdficklin
missjulie
daeonica
*Moonlight_Mania*
Clare C.G
RosyT
gobblegobble
Ren
ReNu
Bluepolarbear
pronetoidiocy
Novel-Goddess
emilycross
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female
Number of posts : 1170
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 20, 2009 1:27 pm

Sd, if you upload it to photobucket.com -you'll get a url code www. etc et.c om and then you just put [img] tags in between [/_img]
Back to top Go down
https://thewriterschronicle.forumotion.net
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Number of posts : 203
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.
Humor : Laughing at my spastic self
Registration date : 2009-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 3:26 pm

Thanks for your help, guys! You too, missjulie! You seem to have links to everything. @_@ <3
Back to top Go down
http://member.mibba.com/54014/
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female
Number of posts : 108
Job/hobbies : Art Director
Humor : For teh lulz!
Registration date : 2009-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 7:28 pm

*Moonlight_Mania* wrote:
Thanks for your help, guys! You too, missjulie! You seem to have links to everything. @_@ <3

I'm secretly a cylon and am bionically connected to the internets. >.>
Back to top Go down
http://shinyshiny.wordpress.com
ReNu
Lois Lane has nothing on ReNu
ReNu

Female
Number of posts : 382
Job/hobbies : Working journalist, aspiring novelist, history buff, collector of vintage fountain pens and war medals.
Registration date : 2009-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 23, 2009 10:23 pm

Thanks for the Mary-Sue test link, Emily. *rushes away before anyone can ask her scores*
Back to top Go down
http://write-ideas14.blogspot.com/
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 24, 2009 10:09 am

MissJulie, are you 6? Laughing
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female
Job/hobbies : Occupation: Student. Hobbies: Writing (duh), playing around with Photoshop, and singing.

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 25, 2009 6:32 pm

missjulie wrote:
*Moonlight_Mania* wrote:

I'm secretly a cylon and am bionically connected to the internets. >.>

._. When doing the quiz, a character that seemed completely not Mary Sue/Danny Stu appeared to be a Mary Sue. o_O That kinda makes me sad. ._. It's like what I tried to make NOT happen, happened anyway. T_T Because I personally hate Mary Sues (well, if they're really obvious) and I thought my character through and it seemed very...not perfect, and the test said he was anyway. >_<; *lost*
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 26, 2009 6:23 pm

emilycross wrote:
MissJulie, are you 6? Laughing

SHHH!!!! We're only on Season 2!!!
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 27, 2009 9:51 am

REALLY??? oh we should start a thread over in the offtopic section

I'll see you over there?
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyMon May 04, 2009 4:01 am

Ok i'm posting this on character threads too, but here is an excellent post by a very established writer (think she's published 46 novels across a load of sub genres) - http://pbackwriter.blogspot.com/2009/05/ten-with-character.html its to do with organising stuff for character info, but she gives links to free stuff like evernote - which compiles information and synchronises all your book infor. i haven't done it, but gona look into it when i have time and look at these links too.

what you guys think?
Back to top Go down
Anne Gilbert
Outlining the plot
Anne Gilbert

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2009-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Emily:

Glad to hear you have a site that helps you organize these things. I'm very unorganized right now, but my characters all have names that are more or less products of my imagination, or they're historical characters whose names I haven't changed,or else I used names(slightly modernized) from the period I'm writing about. I tried to make the "made up" names fit the characters.
Anne G
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Question: i know lots of you can pick pictures of people who 'look' like your characters for their bio files etc. i was wondering do you find this helpful?

I've tried to do this but everytime i do, it makes me stop thinking of the character as my MC cause i then start thinking of them as 'the actor/model' etc. or i feel sort of boxed in with them?

Maybe its just the way i am, cause when i read a book - and there is character detail i kinda don't 'take it in' - e.g. i never had an 'image' like a photo image of say 'edward' for instance, just i guess an 'essence' of the character as a person and an outline of their looks - maybe my imagination is underactive?

weirdly enough - i'm tempted to just maybe go the 'anime' route or something?
Back to top Go down
TepidDreams
Brainstorming for Ideas
TepidDreams

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-03-08

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 4:44 pm

Emily I am with you, I find it extremely hard to find people that look like my characters. Mostly because I just do not have the patience to look through model or actors websites to find the "perfect" one. Maybe someday, but not right now there is too much else to do, at least for me.
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Question: i know lots of you can pick pictures of people who 'look' like your characters for their bio files etc. i was wondering do you find this helpful?

For me, I like my details to be details but if I'm looking for just the right "something" from a character--I look for it in pictures. I'm also a photographer--so I just can't run and hide from the photos no matter how hard I try to. But I've found that for me, if I can place a more "real" person in my head with a picture I've seen, my character is even more real to me than ever and it helps me with ways the character would display emotions ect.

P.S. It really doesn't help that I had to take a photo class in college called Photo Illustration where we took words most of the time (we had a poetry assignment at one point) and make a photograph from it. I use photos with everything I do now.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
Anne Gilbert
Outlining the plot
Anne Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2009 11:52 pm

Gobblegobble:

I can do this with some of my characters; others not so easily. I tend not to look in pictures, because the results are often stereotyped, and I try to avoid stereotyped-looking characters.
Anne G
Back to top Go down
daeonica
Editor of the Board
daeonica

Female
Number of posts : 369
Job/hobbies : on my gap year!
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 7:32 am

A lot of the time, I just know in my head what my characters look like. I can remember.
Sometimes I'll draw my main characters, just for fun/reference.

I wouldn't know where to start looking to find photos, and I know I can procrastinate for Britain sometimes, but looking for photos of characters that I know what they look like anyway, just seems a bit too far for me. Why spend time doing that, when I could be writing about these characters instead?
Back to top Go down
missjulie
Designing book covers
missjulie

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 8:58 am

Ren got me hooked on modelmayhem.com ... its... horribly fantastic. I also use flickr CC (creative commons) for pics... here's a link: http://compfight.com/

I think its *somewhat* helpful, like for Characters A and B i dont need pictures of them, they look like what I picture in my head. But for perif characters C and D, having pics is kinda helpful Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Anne Gilbert
Outlining the plot
Anne Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 1:32 pm

missjulie:

Well, if you can do it that way, that's all to the good!
Anne G
Back to top Go down
gobblegobble
Editing the First draft
gobblegobble

Female
Number of posts : 251
Job/hobbies : My job is being a Mom and My hobby is writing.
Humor : "Due to budget cuts, the light at the end of the tunnel will be turned off until further notice!"
Registration date : 2009-03-04

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 4:33 pm

Anne Gilbert wrote:
Gobblegobble:

I can do this with some of my characters; others not so easily. I tend not to look in pictures, because the results are often stereotyped, and I try to avoid stereotyped-looking characters.
Anne G

Yeah, I can see that happening to a lot of characters these days. There are a lot of stereotypes out there. I wish I could draw my characters out--and actually I've tried. Doesn't work. I just can't draw at all. Photography is my art other than writing so that is why I turn to the pictures when I am stuck. I actually try to use my mind so much more on the details but if I get stuck on a description--I love using the pictures for some help. Very Happy

My first novel I wrote I didn't actually place pictures with the characters until I was about half way through it because someone asked me what they looked like and what I gave them didn't help them for some reason.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gobblingthesnippets.blogspot.com
Anne Gilbert
Outlining the plot
Anne Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2009 6:42 pm

gobblegobble:

I just have pictures in my head of some of mine. One of them looks sort of like Johnny Depp in some of his roles.
Anne G
Back to top Go down
emilycross
The Boss of the Board
emilycross

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 8:43 am

Laughing well i was looking at my sisters girl magazine and came across Lily Collins, whom is basically how i imagined my MC to be.

Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 340x
Back to top Go down
Anne Gilbert
Outlining the plot
Anne Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2009 5:30 pm

Emily:

Hmmmm. . . .she looks like the sort of character that could be the heroine of a romance novel. But I'm probably wildly off-base!
Anne G
Back to top Go down
*Moonlight_Mania*
Still typing first draft
*Moonlight_Mania*

Female

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 5:27 pm

Sometimes I do on IMDB.com and look at the actors/actresses, but there's always something that's different between them and my characters. I guess that's a given, since they're not my characters, but it gets me so frustrated! That's why I really don't do it.
Back to top Go down
Novel-Goddess
Editor of the Board
Novel-Goddess

Female
Number of posts : 505
Job/hobbies : I write stuff.
Humor : My entire life is one of those &quot;you had to be there&quot; jokes.
Registration date : 2009-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 5:30 pm

I'll go through Modelmayhem.com to find approx. matches, but usually I can still see the character as how I imagine if I find a picture that's close, but not quite. Mainly I look for pictures to give my friends some idea of what the characters look like.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jenniferwhite.webs.com
Anne Gilbert
Outlining the plot
Anne Gilbert

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptySun May 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Moonlight Mania and Novel-Goddess:

I go through a wide variety of sources, including people I see on the street. Every so often, I'll come across someon who looks "right" for the kind of character I'm writing about. One of my characters looks vaguely like Johnny Depp(but he sure doesn't act like Johnny Depp).
Anne G
Back to top Go down
BlackFairyDust01
Brainstorming for Ideas

Female
Number of posts : 16
Job/hobbies : Reading, writing, and watching Bleach
Registration date : 2009-05-12

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2009 1:34 pm

What I usually do when picking how my characters look is picture their personalities while I draw a quick sketch of them. Like with my character Arrow, I instantly thought of a narrow faced girl with shallow wrinkles on the edge of her lips because of how much she frowns. She also had black hair with a slight purple tint because of her heritage. I made her abnormally tall because of how much she likes to look down on people. I think the only soft things about her appearance are her lips and eyes. Sometimes if I'm having a hard time imagining a look for a particular trait, I look at movies and see who played a character that has a similar personality trait to mine.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Characters: Names & Personality   Characters: Names & Personality - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Characters: Names & Personality
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next